NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar scope with bino' viewer ?

Davey-T

Having spent most of yesterday squinting at the Sun through the new Lunt LS60DS ( much to Mrs Ts horror, another load of time wasting when I could be doing "something useful" )  I got to idle'y wondering if anybody uses a bino' viewer for Solar or is this a silly question, is there perhaps some reason not to.?

Dave

Bino viewer with solar is the way to go!!

I need a 1.6 glass path corrector to get focus in my lunt 60.

Biggest benefit is the lack of eye strain so you can just stay at the eyepiece and observe. The more you look, the more you see.

With the brain helping you see, the sun appears more 3D

• 2 weeks later...

Alas my nose is too big and gets in the way, as a result I cant seem to get comfortable using them. However, they did give great views of the Moon in the short time I used them. At the time I didn't have a solar scope but I would imagine they would work very well

If you can gain focus using binoviewers in your Lunt LS60DS I would highly recommend it.

I currently use binoviewers in my 4" Astro Tech APO with the Herschel Wedge - fantastic 3D. I went to the United States to view the Venus Transit in 2012 and I was a guest at an organised event. I was able to view the Transit through a Lunt 6" H.Alpha with binoviewers and TeleVue EPs a view I will never forget.

Enquired at FLO  and the WO Binos work but not a lot of tolerance focus wise, may have to consider expensive Baader ones.

May have to buy another 13mm Ethos as well  :evil:

Dave

Dave did FLO mention which Lunt scope was able to gain focus (just). I recall at the SGL9 star party Luke and Sarah had their Coronado 60mm H.Alpha scope and we could not gain focus with binoviewers even with the barlow.

Dave did FLO mention which Lunt scope was able to gain focus (just). I recall at the SGL9 star party Luke and Sarah had their Coronado 60mm H.Alpha scope and we could not gain focus with binoviewers even with the barlow.

Yes, LS60 just reaches focus with the supplied barlow.

I believe the Baader Vs with 1.6 glass path converter works but loads of money.

Dave

Changing the standard lunt focuser for a steel track nt can gain you some in focus as it is narrower than the standard one by 1cm or so.

You can also get a 19 mm extension for the nt focuser if you want to go the other way.

Changing the standard lunt focuser for a steel track nt can gain you some in focus as it is narrower than the standard one by 1cm or so.

You can also get a 19 mm extension for the nt focuser if you want to go the other way.

Am already leaning toward the steeltrack as it will be easier to get an electronic focuser bracket to fit my Lakeside focuser to it as the Lunt focuser is a funny shape. Is there no end to the amount of money that can be squandered on astro kit  :grin:

I really need a Star Adventurer mount for my holidays.

Dave

I honestly believe there really is no end to the spend! Every time I think I have everything I need, something new comes out , either onto the market or my awareness!!

It really is quite an expensive hobby, isn't it :)

Archived