Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Combining data and power through cat5 cable

Dave_D

Has anyone tried this successfully? I have a couple of projects that requiring usb (arduino) and 12v dc (stepper). Now, according to the wiki, "Through the use of power over Ethernet (PoE), up to 25 watts of power can be carried over the cable in addition to Ethernet data." that should be ample for powering a 12v stepper over a run of 2-3 metres.

Unless anyone knows a better source of 8 core cable?

I'm always scared of running data and switched mode motors through the same cable, the splats off the motor conductors will get everywhere, even with twisted pairs. It's much safer to run the two in separately screened cables.

Huw

Is it the arduino that you are trying to power and use data on? If it is and it supports PoE you shouldn't have a problem. If your just wanting the power to power another device.. That may or may not cause problems, ive no idea.

Keep in mind there are two standards IEEE802.3af (15W~) and IEEE802.3at (25W~)

Alternatively since its under 5m, you might be able to use USB 3.1 which would allow for your power requirements depending on the hardware you have.

PoE works wonderfully well, but mind you, it is usually 48V in order to supply enough watts by means of limited current, so you wil need a ower converter at the other end - one that doesn't dissipate all the leftover energy as heat (i.e. switched).

/per

That's a good point. I was under the impression the voltage was lower... I guess running separate power isn't such a chore, I'll just throw together better cable management.

I did something similar for my auto focuser

I i took a 6p flat cable and used four cables from the stepper motor down to the housing where the Aurdino and easy stepper motor boards are kept. This way the only cable i have running from my focuser is a single flat cable.

Has always worked and never given me any issues.

I did it because it means a single cable from the focuser, you can have it as far away as you like, mine just all sits in the box under the scope. It also means with mine that when i take everything apart the cable stays as part of the cable management loom.

Word of note...

I put an RJ11 socket on the housing the motor is kept in and one on the control box. That means just my one cable between the two. Remember this is the same as connecting the motor and the stepper board so if the Easy Stepper Board is powered on you can't disconnect the cable at either end as apparently this can cause issues. in short regardless of how you  do this make sure you turn the power off first before disconnecting anything.

Archived