Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which camera for Nexstar 6se

Hi All,

I want to get a camera for my Nexstar 6SE, i am torn between the Neximage 5 or the ZWO ASI120MC can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two , and if anyone has had any experience using them.

This is for planetary imaging, presumably?

James

I've seen very little imaging done with the Neximage 5 so it's hard to compare the two.  One thing about it that I'm really not keen on is the tiny size of the pixels.  I think they're just over 2um square.  I know it does 2x2 and 4x4 binning, but for planetary imaging I'd prefer not to.  I think it's fair to say that the ASI120's credentials as a planetary imager are well-proven on the other hand.

James

2x2 micron square pixels is very small, and that might impact on dynamic range of the pixels. The ASI120MC has a very high quantum efficiency (percentage of photons actually detected; over 70%) which is very handy

Whereas I think the Neximage 5 is somewhere around 40% to 45%, which is pretty poor by comparison.

James

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone help and reply's i have gone for the ZWO ASI120MC, it comes with software with it, but doses anyone know if this is the best software to use ?

On Windows I'd probably go for FireCapture.

James

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone help and reply's i have gone for the ZWO ASI120MC, it comes with software with it, but doses anyone know if this is the best software to use ?

I have used Sharpcap. Took this with my 127Mak & ASI120MC

post-28249-0-50276300-1403890688_thumb.j

I originally posted the image here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/209881-first-ever-jupiter/

Looking back at the details I posted back then:

Best 2000 frames of 10025 at 320x240 shot with Sharpcap, stacked in AS!2, Wavelets in Registax 6 and post-processing in Gimp.

Exposure was 0.003569s and the fps was at maximum (I think it said 240fps in Sharpcap but that sounds a bit too high).

I think I could have got a much better image if I had used the 2.5x Barlow which was sitting in my case but I forgot I had just got as a birthday present :wacko:

Michael, you posted the following with images: ""I have the ASI120MC and like it. I have used it quite a bit on planetary imaging with the C8 I have. A few images:""

Which eyepiece(s) did you use with the 120MC to get the images that size and quality?

I very much doubt that the images posted by Michael are afocal.  More likely he used one of his barlows/powermates increase the effective focal length and thereby the size of the image.  Judging by the filenames some of them have been rescaled during processing too.

James

Archived