Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Linux

eid

Hi,

I've not been doing any astronomy for quite a while and in the meantime I've dumped windows in favour of linux (Ubuntu).

I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend any stacking software I could use (or any other astro related software)?

Thanks

According to the Registax website: "RegiStax 6 works very well under Linux via wine version 1.3.17."

I also found something called OpenPHD ("Open PHD Guiding for Linux, OSX and Windows"). I think you need to do a compile to install it, but I'm not sure...

I think it will be harder (if at all possible) to run things like BYEOS or PHD on Linux... but I might be wrong on that.

PixInsight does stacking and pretty much any processing you are likely to need.  It isn't free, but offers Windows, Mac and Linux versions (in fact the license permits you to install it on all the machines and operating systems you have provided it is for your own use).

Your main challenge with Linux is finding drivers and control software for equipment (mounts, cameras, etc.).  A lot of the development effort over many years has gone in to supporting the ASCOM platform, which is Windows only.  There is the INDI project which is working on providing a similar (but incompatible) platform for Linux.  Some kit has appropriate drivers (from manufacturers or third parties), but you'd need to check as coverage is limited.

Hi 'eid'.

Have you considered DistroAstro. I use version 1.0.2 (Ceres). It is based on Linux Mint and a fork of the Ubuntu family. Included in the astro packages is wxAstroCapture & Registax. I plugged in my Toucam Pro ll a few weeks ago during daylight hours and got an image on the screen but I did not try any recording/stacking to see how it performs.

I have partitioned 120Gb HDD rather than use VMware, WINE, etc as I believe you slows the computer as you are running the two O/S's simutaneously rather than independantly, unless you have alot of RAM. Below is how my partition table looks...

1Gb free space (I think GRUB resides here or the MBR).

80Gb Windows

1.5Gb Linux swapfile (for the Linux distros below).

20Gb Distro Astro

12.5Gb Linux Mint

I have yet to see what is include with the file manager of DistroAstro to see if WINE does or does not exist as I have only just started getting 'serious' with Linux. It also includes some DOS apps too.

I read somewhere that a new version of DistroAstro is due for release.

Before the end of June I also intend to make the next release of my planetary capture application on Linux and OSX.  It supports the (USB) TIS and ASI cameras, the QHY5 and QHY5L-II.  The SPC900 works on Linux too, as long as the kernel drivers support it properly.  It's possible that firewire cameras may work with the upcoming release, but I have no hardware to test for that.  The Atik GP may also work if I can find out what the USB VID/PID is.

James

VMWare is certainly slower than running windows natively but I find that whilst wine has it's limitations it is very fast as it is not actually emulating or running windows. And let's face it windows is a resource hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I haven't even tried running anything under wine yet as I'm still in the thinking stage (I quite often never get past this), but I do have it installed. I also have Gimp, which does work on linux.

DistroAstro looks very interesting; I'll be looking  into this definitely.

I don't need guiding software yet as I don't have a worthy mount. Was really just looking at stacking and maybe mosaics.

Isn't Gimp for linux?

GIMP is actually an acronym of: [G]raphics mage [M]anipulation [P]rogram.

Some popular Linux apps are/or have been developed for Windows users and vice-versa.

Below is a few basics about the differences between Linux and Windows:-

1. Linux commands (CLI in 'Terminal') are case sensitive.

2. SU (#) grants you 'administrator' access - whereas ($) is the 'user'.

3. external media disks & drives need to be 'mounted' before accessing the contents - and 'un-mounted' before removal.

GIMP is actually an acronym of: [G]raphics mage [M]anipulation [P]rogram.

Some popular Linux apps are/or have been developed for Windows users and vice-versa.

Below is a few basics about the differences between Linux and Windows:-

1. Linux commands (CLI in 'Terminal') are case sensitive.

2. SU (#) grants you 'administrator' access - whereas ($) is the 'user'.

3. external media disks & drives need to be 'mounted' before accessing the contents - and 'un-mounted' before removal.

Thank you Gustavo; I'll look into those.

Archived