Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

solar filter sizing help.

With such poor conditions at evening and nights and clear skies during the day I have decided that one thing that should jump to the top of my scope shopping list is a solar filter, my problem is I have no idea what size I would need for my scope as there are many sizes. I will probably go for one of these on FLO http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

my telescope is a skywatcher skyliner 200p if anyone can tell me the size I need then I would be extremely grateful. also has anyone tried the astrozap filters and are they good for the money thx

You could make your own if you just buy a sheet of the film.  You could make a holder or simply securely tape a piece of film over the "little hole" in the telescopes dust cover.  If you make your own holder it only needs to be about 4" (100mm) diameter and can be placed so the sunlight passes between the arms of the secondary mirror holder.

You could make your own if you just buy a sheet of the film.  You could make a holder or simply securely tape a piece of film over the "little hole" in the telescopes dust cover.  If you make your own holder it only needs to be about 4" (100mm) diameter and can be placed so the sunlight passes between the arms of the secondary mirror holder.

Would this baader film be good for making a homemade one? http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

hello

i bought one of these http://www.365astronomy.com/solar-filter-for-200mm-newtonian-telescopes-p-2898.html but for the 150P, its a nice ABS plastic almost like the end cap for the scope but with solar film covering the centre, & clips in as your end cap does quite nicely without any slippage or worry about falling out, had mine a few months now an works like a charm

hope this is of help

regards

john

With such poor conditions at evening and nights and clear skies during the day I have decided that one thing that should jump to the top of my scope shopping list is a solar filter, my problem is I have no idea what size I would need for my scope as there are many sizes. I will probably go for one of these on FLO http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

my telescope is a skywatcher skyliner 200p if anyone can tell me the size I need then I would be extremely grateful. also has anyone tried the astrozap filters and are they good for the money thx

Hi Romx

I've got a 200p and as I didn't feel confident about making my own filter I bought the 225-235mm astrozap filter from FLO.  I checked with FLO about the sizing first of all as their site listed this as for the 8" SCT.   It fits very snugly and, as this part of the country's been blessed with brilliant sunshine for an unusually long time, I've had some fantastic views of the sun.  It's the first time I'd ever seen the sun through a 'scope - it's fab, and seeing sunspots for the first time is amazing. 

Buy one!

Yup - I have a purpose made Astrozap one from Flo too. It screws on with three nylon screws so you can have a few mm tolerance so long as the film completely covers the aperture. Much safer than solar film and a laggy band, and I always keep it in the box when not in use to avoid any sort of puncture. :)

+1 for keeping it in the box when not in use. 

If I leave the scope in the garden unattended, I usually put a cardboard cover over the filter just in case the jackdaws nearby come to investigate the shiny surface.

Archived