Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tempted by the dark side.

bish

I had some great views of Mars and Saturn the other night. Best seeing in a while. I then looked at a few old favourites. All fine. The trouble is the awful light pollution is really limiting. My next thought was perhaps I should sell the 250pc toward getting an HEQ5 and 130PDS or similar and have a go at imaging. The light pollution would still be a problem though and I remembered the nights under dark skies with the dob - don't think I could sell the dob.

The solution has to be save up and do both. Does anybody out there do imaging under bad light pollution? Obviously dark skies are better but I wanted to try something else from the back garden and I think trying to get a half decent shot of M57 etc might be the answer.

Imaging from a light poluted back garden is perfectly do-able i dont even use a LP filter but you are limited to the brighter targets.

Alan

That's good and bad to hear. Good it can be done - bad that I now want to spend some money!

I Image from a heavily light polluted site with a streetlamp directly due south 20 ft from my scope
again without a LP filter, though I do plan on getting an Astronomik CCD clip filter soon
just can't justify it due to weather and light nights

I Image from a heavily light polluted site with a streetlamp directly due south 20 ft from my scope

again without a LP filter, though I do plan on getting an Astronomik CCD clip filter soon

just can't justify it due to weather and light nights

I see you use a 200p on EQ5 too. I used to have that set up although was forced to sell it due to finances. I did a few Jupiter shots with a webcam but never tried DSO stuff with the DSLR.

If I were to move from my dark site to a light polluted one (rather a big 'if,' that one!!!) I wouldn't try to do natural colour imaging. I'd use a mono CCD and image mainly in Ha, or maybe Ha, O111 and sometimes SII. These really do cut through the LP in a way that leaves the result hardly affected. Malcolm Park images from London. Have a look; http://www.malcolmpark.com/portfolio/sciences.php?pg=3

You can also use Ha in the moonlight, doubling your chances of getting out with the kit.

Olly

If you want to keep the feel of observing but actually see some detail in brighter objects, or just to see some faint objects, why not consider 'sensor-assisted viewing'? There are loads of examples of what can be achieved in the (mis-named) video section here. You will minimally need a driven mount, but many of us operate in alt-az mode so setup is quick. Typical exposures are under a minute (sometimes far less), so it feels like observing.

Equipment-wise I use an 80mm f/6 achromat refractor (i.e. cheap-and-cheerful) and a Starlight Xpress Lodestar guide camera, which is like a lightweight (50g) eyepiece USB-powered from the laptop. Capture and quick 'near-live' tweaking is done using LodestarLive software (free, works on Macs and Windows) written by SGL member Paul81. I've only been doing it for a few months but have seen more than in the last 5 years with a big dob, including stuff like Abell galaxy clusters which I never dreamed of looking at before, and routinely picking out mag 15-16 galaxies. Take a look at nytecam's images from near central London to see what can be achieved under heavy LP too.

You could also view it as a cheap way into imaging. Personally, I don't see myself going that way, but a lot of the techniques are in common with AP so it definitely would help. Sensor assisted viewing is a lot more forgiving though. We don't really care too much about dust shadows, vignetting, egg-shaped stars, a bit of noise...   :smiley:

Anyway, the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Martin  

I use a 130PDS and have quite a few street lights dotted around the garden.

Light pollution is really apparent when you look at the lights, but it is amazing how you can slice through it with the processing.

You can image far more than you can see.

olly - Thanks for the info. I hadn't even thought of doing that. The results that Malcolm Parks gets are fantastic

Martin - Another good idea. I have perused the 'video' section and it has crossed my mind. Sounds like the results you get from an 80mm frac are excellent.

Kropster - Those 130PDS scopes seem to be getting the job done for quite  a few at the moment.

Quite  a lot to think about. Money is tight so I will have to choose a set up and stick with it, as much as I would like to have it all! Still tempted by the dark side and need to give it some more thought/investigation.

I think the 'video' or  'sensor assisted' observing is a great idea as a halfway house between head banging DS imaging (because head-banging it is!) and regular observing. When I set up here I expected to do more outreach work with beginners than has actually happened but it would be a powerful tool for anyone doing that.

Olly

I think the 'video' or  'sensor assisted' observing is a great idea as a halfway house between head banging DS imaging (because head-banging it is!) and regular observing. When I set up here I expected to do more outreach work with beginners than has actually happened but it would be a powerful tool for anyone doing that.

Olly

I think you could be right. From my very limited attempt at astro imaging in the past I recall it wasn't a case of popping out for  30 min gap in the clouds and producing  amazing pictures.  I guess I have to balance my frustrations as a visual scope user under severe LP with the steep learning curve, patience and hair pulling frustration trying to get the perfect image.

Archived