Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ok tonight I decided to try to see a comet through my scope and it was a success I believe it was the Catalina comet near the planet mars on the constellation Virgo. This occurred about 945 pm mountain standard time. I know it was a comet just unsure which one

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of Catalina comets in the vicinity of Mars but not visible in amateur scopes, if you want to see a comet at the moment look up C/2012 K1 (Panstarrs) in Stellarium.

Couple of galaxies in the area so you saw probably either M49 or M104

Dave

pretty sure it wasn't a satellite, and it resembled more a comet. and I doubt it was a galaxy because almost as soon as it was in the fov I didn't get a chance to focus it in . and I've seen more satelites than I care to admit, I have seen numerous satellites with my naked eye over the past view weeks without even trying.

Not a high flying jet either, I have had the poo scared out of from several of those as well even though I shouldn't given where I reside is near enough to the army base here in town and the air force base in the nearish town . about a month ago my husband and I both saw some high flying jets that he could easily identify the type of given that he was military and I can only distinguish military aircraft from commercial. Still pretty sure it was a comet.

A couple of comets listed in the vicinity of Mars both mag 20ish so no chance of seeing them on amateur scopes, could it have been a meteor.

Have a look at K1 Panstarrs to see what a comet looks like through your scope.

Dave

if you skies are dark enough with your aperture you may have seen one of the huge numbers of galaxies in the virgo area, there are literally hundreds but perhaps a possible suspect is M104. it's not possible to see magnitude 20 comets with your scopes.

I'd suggest then that you find it again. If it is a comet then it will have moved through the sky a little from where it was. I cannot find that much information about Comet Catalina (might be just me) but according to http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/cometblog/?p=305 it's not visible currently to N hemisphere observers?

C/2013 UQ4 (Catalina) [Perihelion on 2014-Jul-05 at 1.08 AU from the Sun]

This comet appeared to be inactive, and hence was considered an asteroid, when discovered back on October 23, 2013 by the Catalina Sky Survey. It wasn’t until April 26 that a growing number of observers started to note a coma and tail. Hence, what was once asteroid 2013 UQ4 is now Comet Catalina. The question now is how bright it will get. As the month starts, the comet is only visible from the Southern Hemisphere at around 12-13th magnitude. By the middle of the month, the comet will be visible to northern observers. As the month progresses the comet will move closer to the Sun (from 1.22 to 1.08 AU) and rapidly closer to Earth (from 1.46 to 0.48 AU) on its way to perihelion on July 5 (at 1.08 AU) and closest approach to Earth on July 10 (at 0.32 AU). It is a morning object moving northward from Pisces into Pegasus.

but the problem is assuming you were using your biggest 70mm scope it would not be possible to see an extended object which is 12th-13th magnitude. A 3" scope could see a point source like a star (where all the light is concentrated into one speck) of magnitude 11 but not an extended object like a comet. see magnitude 12 and 13 here http://www.icq.eps.harvard.edu/MagScale.html which suggests a 15" or 20" telescope is required to see comets of this magnitude.

I remain convinced that you saw a bright galaxy and again I feel M104 is the most likely. It is in the right sort of area and has an apparent magnitude of 8.98 so you should see something with your scope.

Perhaps an asteroid you saw. The Asteroid belt is between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, but there may be a rogue scooting about you've picked up.

It would not be moving fast, but in your scope's FOV, fast enough not to wait for it's picture to be taken :grin:.

They have a very low albedo, but large enough, it may refect enough sunlight.  It wouldn't have even a semblence of a tail either.

Ron.

I realize it is meant as help. And I was able to see mars earlier almost well enough, I started from there and carefully made my to finding that comet again, and probably could have found it again if it weren't for the tree. I have a love/hate thing with trees, they provide shade in day and make stargazing a bit more tricky .

Indeed, I have tree issues too but they do also shield many of my neighbour's lights! Check again next time out. if I am correct then it should be there in the same place as last time and you should be able to confirm it on the map as a galaxy (I hope). don't get me wrong, it's perfectly possible for you to discover a new comet but one so bright as to be seen in a 70mm scope should have already been located by someone I'd wager.

if you look at this map M104 is just 'below' Mars currently

http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/mars.htm

If it actually is moving it would be amazing if SGL had discovered a comet. Would we call it Comet Stargazerslounge or let our Texas member claim it? :D

Are you in El Paso Cutepetgroomer, just out of interest?

Archived