NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possible M106 supernova

Dave_D

The KAIT prediscovery report suggests it's been around since April 9 - so probably at it's peak now, and levelling off.

Callum

In that case it should remain beyond reach of my scope

Thanks for the news. A type 11 -  does that mean it could brighten quite a bit ? Would be great if it rivaled the one M82 earlier in the year.

andrew

Type 2 (II) supernovae are not very predictable in their peak brightness, unlike type 1a supernovae, which have a fairly constant peak absolute magnitude, so if you know the distance, you can estimate the peak visual magnitude. The brightness of a type 2 SN depends on the mass of the progenitor star.

14.8 is going to be a problem for me - theoretically doable in 5.1", but not with urban skies...and the weather !

I missed the M82 one too.

I doubt a 5.1" scope can reach mag 14.8. Even my 8" cannot do that: 14.0 is roughly the limit of my scope. I have done 13.9 from my suburban garden, so might be able to stretch a little beyond

Archived