Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Globs in the forest 20/5/14

Daniel-K

yesterday we had a slim chance of clear sky after 10 so i decided to load to car and take a trip to our local dark sky spot in the forest.it takes approx 30-40 mins depending on traffic. it was around 9pm when Graham turned up and we drove into the forest, at this point it was still cloudy and it was looking grim and we was being hounded by the midges! i know what cattle must feel like now!

we had a small downpour around 10 and then everything just seemed to spread out and it cleared up nicely so it was time to setup. i have setup time around 10mins including collimation, now which i think is very good considering the amount of stuff i take.

It was quite humid and dew was already forming on the roof of the cars so the dew bands where put on low ready for the bombardment of dew. i got to work straight away installing the parracor and 17.3MM Delos.

The first object was M13 i want to test out my range of EP properly on a good object. The 17.3mm was incredibly good framing the Glob with a nice FOV with some space around the sides. M13 looked 3D, it was so bright and resolved so easy, being able to put it on one side of the FOV and watch it drift over to the other side while staying perfectly sharp due to the parracor was a real treat.

I then put the 14mm delos in and was abit let down the image was somewhat dimmer than the 17.3mm Graham agreed that the image we got from the 17.3mm was better. BUT i then barlowed the 14mm and wow M13 filled the whole FOV with stars, we could see sky in between the stars in the cluster.we spent a fair bit of time on this object which you could look at all night long. i was very pleased with the performance of the 17.3mm has to be my best EP.

we had a look at M92 which we resolved some outer stars with the 14mm, also bagged NGC 6229 quite easy to see in the 14inch and a really nice looking glob.

up untill 12:30 it was clear then a bank of fog came in, quite spooky. Graham has been going to the forest for 30 years and TBH if i had gone on my own i would have packed up and gone home at this point but he explained to me that he has seen this many of times and just to hold on for 30mins.it was asif someone had pulled a curtain around us, we could not even see the tress 20 yards in front of us! Tea time and then just as Graham said the fog went and we where left staring up at a sky so clear, the milky way was overhead blazinging away. Time to crack on :)

Scorpius was just above the tree line managed to get M4

i also got a few new ones to me :

M107

M9

M10 i could not find M12 even though its so close to M10 :BangHead:

M27 was nearly picture perfect, this is the first time i have seen it with a largish scope and it did not let me down the shape was text book and it was soooo bright. it was giving off a light turquoise hue.

one of the highlights of the night was the tumblers flaring as it came in line with the suns rays, and sheer number of meteors we seen makes me think this new shower may be worth going out for a loook see :) the where really long and slow.

we called it a night at 3AM and packed down and watched the moon rise above the trees. fantastic night well worth the risk even if i had only got 30 mins in i love being out with the scope :D  roll on next week when its back to the Lynn Peninsula for 3 nights!! :)

Dan

stu once the midges went to bed it was very enjoyable :D got a few bites though :tongue:

It's a pain isn't it, I keep getting bitten just heading out into the garden. Seems a shame to have to get all togged up when it's not so cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a pain isn't it, I keep getting bitten just heading out into the garden. Seems a shame to have to get all togged up when it's not so cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they where like swarms when we put the head torch's on  :p 

Good stuff Dan.

Did you pick up NGC6207 near to M13 in the 17mm or is the FOV a bit small for that too?

i think its just too small for that i did have a scan but didnt see it, i have however picked it up with 18MM ES 82 from the forest

Nice report.

So your sold on using a Paracorr then Dan? You'd never go back to not using one?

Really looking forward to a glob night myself but have to change to my summer observing site which is in a sheep field, I dont really see midges down here but do manage to stand in alot of sheep poo....dunno whats worse really, midges or sheep poo??  :grin:

Nice report.

So your sold on using a Paracorr then Dan? You'd never go back to not using one?

Really looking forward to a glob night myself but have to change to my summer observing site which is in a sheep field, I dont really see midges down here but do manage to stand in alot of sheep poo....dunno whats worse really, midges or sheep poo??  :grin:

midges by far! well i may have to when stu wants his parracor back. i should really tell him its rubbish and sell it to me for £50 :D

Nice one Dan, sounds like a great one.

Mike Galaxies and Globs are by far the most rewarding :D i love hunting down the faint NGC Globs a misty patch in a field of stars gives a right buzz!

I don't really have preference whatever is in the sky, though I do have my limits but even I would admit M40 is somewhat dull :grin: . Did you ever have a look at some of the brighter planetary nebulae ?, for me they are right up there, the subtle hints of green blue really come through, even in my 10 inch on some of them. They should be pretty hot in your bigger Dob giving them plenty mag 200x - 300x no bother in your machine  :smiley:

Archived