Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Omegon LE Planetary eyepieces?

Steve-G

I was threatening my wallet with the potential purchase of a shiny new eyepiece and stumbled across the Omegon LE Planetary range. They look quite similar to the William Optics SPL's but I can't seem to find any reviews or info about them, which is not usually a good sign.

Has anybody ever had their hands on one of these or know anything about them?

Hi Steve, they certainly do look like the WO SPL's, but why not get the WO SPL's which have a proven track record?  I use the 12.5mm and the 6mm for planetary use and I can confirm they are briliant, tak sharp and with good eye-relief, which is always important to me.  FLO have them at a very competitive price, though I got both mine s/h on Ebay at a cheaper price.

They do look similar. Same number of lens elements and arrangement. But WO only do three which seems a little strange. I can vouch for the 6mm too, it's great. So if Robin says the 12.5mm is as good, then get the WOs from FLO rather than the Omegon as suggested.  :smiley:

I have been tempted by the WO SPL's for a while but as I already have 7mm & 12mm eyepieces I was really looking for a 5mm & possibly 9mm to fill gaps in my collection . The Omegon range includes both these which is what caught my interest in the first place.

I have been tempted by the WO SPL's for a while but as I already have 7mm & 12mm eyepieces I was really looking for a 5mm & possibly 9mm to fill gaps in my collection . The Omegon range includes both these which is what caught my interest in the first place.

It might be interesting to try them to see what their performance is like, they look similar quality I have to say.  I have a number of ep's of similar focal lengths, but that's how it goes, just wanted to try them or they came up on Ebay at the right price and so on.

Steve,

A warm welcome on site. I would do what Robin suggests and get the W Optics, I have used the 6mm version and it is a nice eyepiece without being in the Pentax/Televue class. The only sad thing like so many of WO eyepieces there are not many in the range.

Teleskop Sevices in Germany do a like range with more focal lengths in, I have teied one of these and they too were very good, the range is called Astro Professional I tried the 14mm and that too was very good, cheap enough as well.

Alan. 

I would do what Robin suggests and get the W Optics, I have used the 6mm version and it is a nice eyepiece without being in the Pentax/Televue class. The only sad thing like so many of WO eyepieces there are not many in the range.

Teleskop Sevices in Germany do a like range with more focal lengths in, I have teied one of these and they too were very good, the range is called Astro Professional I tried the 14mm and that too was very good, cheap enough as well.

My main reason for not picking up the 6mm WO SPL is that I already have 7mm WO UWAN so would prefer something closer to 5mm. The Astro Professional range look interesting too & they seem identical to the Astro-Tech LER's, which appear to have had favourable reviews. Decisions, decisions.... Now I'm even more confused than ever  :laugh:

Right, I'm blaming a certain someone (you know who you are) for his earlier comment "It might be interesting to try them to see what their performance is like". As a result, a shiny new 5mm Omegon LE Planetary eyepiece is winging it's way over from Germany as we speak. Hopefully by the time it arrives all these damn clouds will have found a new home.

Right, I'm blaming a certain someone (you know who you are) for his earlier comment "It might be interesting to try them to see what their performance is like". As a result, a shiny new 5mm Omegon LE Planetary eyepiece is winging it's way over from Germany as we speak. Hopefully by the time it arrives all these damn clouds will have found a new home.

Hi Steve, well done for making a choice, do let us know how you get on.

• 3 months later...

Danny, I have only used the 5mm Omegon I purchased a couple or three times. I found it to be rather... well... "Meh", to be honest. It didn't blow me away with stunning views but that's not to say it was overly disappointing either, it was just OK. It's a well constructed eyepiece with a good hefty feel to it but I won't be buying any more.

I used it in a 5" F/10 SCT which pushed the magnification up to x250, which probably didn't help. Unfortunately I haven't had chance to try it in a different scope yet.

Archived