HELP! Issue with FLO 12V Power Cable and Scope staying in place!

So,

I have a 3 in 1 power tank that I bought from Maplins (which has proven to be brilliant).  I am also using a Celestron 127 Mak which again is a great scope.

The problem I have is that the FLO SkyTron cable I bought will NOT stay in place.  I've also been using a knife to slightly open the prongs a little for it to stay in place which was working great until I put a bit too much force and I think I've snapped the tip off the internal part in the scope the lead connects to..... So, I have a few questions...

1) The scope still powers on so will this be okay or do I need to get it repaired?

2) Have I been sold a faulty connector by FLO as it doesn't stay secure?

3) Is there anything I can use to secure it?  

Anyone else got a 127 and having the same issue?

I don't want to use lots of duct tape and when I say the slightest movement cuts the power, I really mean the SLIGHTEST of movement.  I tried to slew from Saturn to Mars and it was cutting out meaning I was having to start again.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hardly attacked it to be fair, I slightly opened the prongs (I've read other people have done it).  Before I go down the road of looking at alternatives to keep it secure, I was only asking a basic question as to if anyone else had experienced similar?

FLO do have a great - and well earned reputation - so I'd rather ask advice here as I don't want them thinking I'm accusing them of a poor product.

Thanks anyway.

Unfortunately, its a common problem with the SLT mounts with the power socket becoming loose.

I have never understood why they never made a power adapter with a 90 degree socket to plug into the mount to help eliminate the weight of the cable pulling it out.

... I think I've snapped the tip off the internal part in the scope the lead connects to..... 

I don't think we need look further than that :smiley:

The push-fit connection used by most telescopes isn't ideal (screw-on connections are best) and over time the connection does become loose so you need to gently widen the gap in the pin. But in this instance you have used too much force and the pin is broken.

But don't worry, it is repairable. And if you purchased the telescope from us we will charge you only what Celestron charge us :smiley:

The scope still powers on so will this be okay or do I need to get it repaired?

You might be able to make a temporary fix but ultimately it will need to be repaired. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Nooooo....

Steve, I bought it from Wex Photographic but I'd rather you guys repaired it if you could give me an estimate?  When you repair it, is there anything that can be done to help improve stability to prevent it falling out?

I'll send you an email now.

Unfortunately, its a common problem with the SLT mounts with the power socket becoming loose.

I have never understood why they never made a power adapter with a 90 degree socket to plug into the mount to help eliminate the weight of the cable pulling it out.

This is rather unfortunate.  It's the only disappointing thing in which is otherwise a great setup. 

You can get a locking version of the  DC co-ax plugs that have a knurled ring that screws onto the short piece of thread that's visible through the moulding....  However they are considerably more expensive than the plugs typically used...

Here's an example - right hand pic is the locking version... They are available in a range of sizes

http://www.rapidonline.com/cables-connectors/dc-power-plug-2-1mm-lock-ring-20-0886

I use to make a loop of the power lead and then tape the cable to the mount so that there was no strain on the plug... I would sometimes put a collar of bluetack around the plug where in went into the scope as well...

Peter...

A pair of self adhesive cable clamps would help enormously. Place one near the socket and another one a little further away. The more distant one does all the work, the closer one acts as a guide and removes any residual cable movement.

10950124-adhesive-cable-clamps.jpg

My colleague Martin say's you have just emailed and he is on the case.

As you purchased your telescope from Wex, if you are a long-term customer of theirs it might be worth you contacting them too. They are well established and trustworthy company. 

HTH, 

Steve 

It is a wonder that such plugs - 2.1mm dc and the automotive plug (cig lighter type) are still being used.

In my line of work I'm always replacing these plugs on a regular basis. Hence why I've changed mine to a locking type with keyway.

Lee

Has anyone dealt with Celestron repair?  Called Wex Photographic and they told me that the first year is handled by them but the second year is handled by Celestron.  That's not the case with Celestron who say it needs to be Wex who send it to them?

I may be shot down in flames, but if it is only the d.c. socket/plug that is damaged and the mount is out of warranty, then may I suggest you take it to a T.V. repair type shop.

A socket/plug is only a couple of pounds and the labour wouldn't be too much - ask for a quote.

Lee

Indeed. If it is out of warranty save yourself a packet in postage and messing about and either do it yourself or get a TV repair shop or local electronics person to look at it. after all, this isn't the fault of Celestron, nor FLO's cable.

If you do decide to send it off to someone, you do know the skies will be clear for the whole period, with the best seeing conditions seen for a lifetime (unless you have another scope). :)

Cheers

Ian

Haha, a very good point.  I've to call back and speak to someone in the workshop for the local TV repair store this afternoon.  I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks

Spoke with a local technician who said they'll charge a £20 quid inspection fee and do the job for that if all good.  Sound reasonable?  Think I'll drop it off on Friday. 

Would probably cost that in shipping two ways.

Worst it could need is a replacement power socket which I think in the Celestron/SupaTrek is just a bogo socket soldered to a PCB. Once it's out of the mount, would be a five minute job normally. (Unless the SupaTrek/clones have changed much in the last few years).

Once that is replaced, double check you cable still fits nicely, ensure you have the right one etc. then if so, do some kind of strain relief using buckles etc. as suggested above.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian.

The guy I spoke to seemed reasonably confident and I told him it was because it was loose.  Asked me to bring the cable, power tank and mount so he can try and get a snug fit for the replacement.  Fingers crossed this works out and special thanks Lee for suggesting it.  I'll let you know how I get on :) 

The Supatrak I had had  a chassis mounted socket ..

Can you take and post a pic of the socket on your mount Savo83?

Sure, I'll do it tonight when I get home.  It's just the standard SLT mount though if that's any help. 

Steppenwolfs idea is a good one, a bit more sophisticated than mine - I have tied the cable to the mount using a cable tie, but noticed that the cable connector is still coming loose.

They said that they're unsure of what socket is required so they're going to order 2 in and replace the full thing.  They've advised they'll do it for £58 quid so I agreed.  Was it the right thing to do?

Archived