SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Am I missing something.....?

Hi,

Still new  this and have got the new telescope (Skywatcher explorer 130P) with a 25mm and 10mm lens. 

Got out to have a look at Saturn on Saturday and was very disappointed in what I saw. I could not really make out much, no rings or anything. I thought that with the kit I have, even a newbie would be able to see a little something more than  a white point in the sky.  Only thing I can think of is that I missed Saturn altogether and focused on a star...?  I used an app for he phone to try and pinpoint things so I'd be surprised if I missed it totally.  Any thoughts?  Couldn't get much better on Jupiter either.  Do you think I could have a kit or set-up problem?

I have sited on hedges in fields and can pick out twigs on the trees at some considerable distance so I believe that telescope is ok.

Cheers

with a 130p and your 10mm I'd imagine you should be able to make out the rings though a Barlow 2 or 3X would help a lot
Jupiter you should be able to make out the bands and see the 4 moons but it will be small in your eye piece again the Barlow will bring out more detail

Yes. You will probably have got a star. If it was a steady point of light, it is diffinataly a star. You do sometimes get poor seeing caused by atmospheric turbulance, but that shows up an unsteady blur.

Saturn would be small but you should be able to make out the ring.

Aiming the thing is a real knack that you will pick up quickly. If you have a straight through finder, try keeping both eyes open when lining up.

Paul

Hiya,

I've got the same scope as you. I was also out on Saturday and saw Saturn very clearly – it's unmistakeable, really, and the rings are very obvious. I even spotted one of Saturn's moons! 

Finding things will be much easier if your red dot finder scope (assuming that's what you've got) is aligned correctly, and that your scope is collimated (sounds complicated, but it's actually fairly easy).

Kev.

It would have jumped out at you as being Saturn. The rings are very prominent at the moment. Most likely cause is your finder scope is out. Nearby twigs and trees are too close to align accurately. You need something at least 2km away really.

Try aligning your finder scope using the Moon. Or you were just pointing at the wrong part of the sky! Believe me, it is so easily done :) How had you decided it was Saturn when you pointed the scope?

Align your scope and finder in the day time. This is easier if you have a cross hair eyepiece but can be done without. Also watch out for the Sun!!!

Saturn with your gear will probably look like a small circle with a bulge for the rings (if I remember from my 130p days!) but you will be able to make out the planet itself and the outline shape of the rings. Looks cool when you first see it!

cheers

Thanks all for the prompt responses. Looks like I will have to be brave and ensure that my scope is collimated which will be frightening for a newbie. I'll try again tonight if the clouds move over a bit and let you know how I get on.

Sounds like my kit should at least give me a small but reasonable view. I have a barlow x 2 so will try that as well to increase the image.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks all for the prompt responses. Looks like I will have to be brave and ensure that my scope is collimated which will be frightening for a newbie. I'll try again tonight if the clouds move over a bit and let you know how I get on.

Sounds like my kit should at least give me a small but reasonable view. I have a barlow x 2 so will try that as well to increase the image.

Cheers, Mike

While collimation is important, I don't think this is why you didn't see Saturn. I also have the same scope and as said, you'll know it when you find it...it's a very capable scope. 

If what I'm about to say is obvious, I'm sorry, but here goes.

1. make sure your finder is aligned with the 'scope

2. using the 25mm eye piece first, align saturn in the finder (you'll be able to verify it's position in the sky with a program such as stellarium ...it's free :) ).

3. once you've found it (it'l be small with but obvious little "ears") centre it and swap over to your 10mm eye piece. 

It'll be larger but don't expect it to fill the field of view. (about the size of a small pea maybe). you'll be able to see a definate gap between the planet and rings.

above all, be patient and don't let it get to you. if you find yourself getting frustrated...walk away, have a brew and come back when you're calmer. 

Good luck mate 

As per the above, don't give up.

I've never used an 'app' so don't really know how these things work, but unless they have a physical link to the scope, then operator error is likely.

If it was Saturn as a white point, suspect focusing, these things are mighty sensitive, even a big boy like Jupiter on target will show as a white point out of focus. 

A tell tale with planets, is that they move pretty quick compared to stars. ie one hand permanently on the RA screw to keep them centered.

Hi. I wouldn't bother with the Barlow. Make sure your eyes are dark adapted and, once you've found Saturn using the 25mm ep, swap on the 10mm one. That'll give the sharpest view. The Barlow will make it bigger but at the expense of clarity and sharpness.

Spend a good half an hour at least observing the planet, looking directly and with averted vision.

By all means try the Barlow then, but don't expect too much.

Kev

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Wow, thanks for all of the great advice. I've learnt so much just by one question on here.

Did my best to sort the collimation and I didn't adjust hardly at all.

Sorted the finder scope by sighting on polaris and found that it was out a fair bit in reality (I guess sighting at the trees was a mistake being so close!).

Finally got set up with clear skies and almost straight onto Saturn with the 25mm and then down to the 10mm. Did try the barlow eyepiece but lost Saturn for a bit fiddling around with the pieces.

The rings were obvious and it was amazing, definitely worth the effort. I was amazed how quick it moved over the view and adjusted frequently. It must have been a star that I sighted on last time as there was no real movement in comparison. Got a look at Mars, the moon (certainly need a filter!) and a few other objects before a cat next door set off the neighbour's security light and that killed the night vision.

Thanks once again all, I'm hooked now.

Mike

Align your scope and finder in the day time. This is easier if you have a cross hair eyepiece but can be done without. Also watch out for the Sun!!!

Saturn with your gear will probably look like a small circle with a bulge for the rings (if I remember from my 130p days!) but you will be able to make out the planet itself and the outline shape of the rings. Looks cool when you first see it!

cheers

"watch out for the sun" as in DON'T look at it. Or even near.

Stating the obvious I know, and apologies to m37, but that was a bit ambiguous.

Archived