NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn at 18 Degrees Alt from N.E England, 03-05-14

Considering the low altitude, and the 100mph jetstream winds, I was surprised how well this turned out.

IR-RGB Saturn at 02:42hrs, Altitude 18 degrees, average seeing, temperature -2.2C. Camera ASI 120MM, Scope S/W200PDS, TAL x2 Barlow ( with filter wheel gave a focal length of 2.75 metres ). 25% of 3000 frames per channel stacked in AS!2, Wavelets in Registax v5.1

post-20257-0-79892100-1399147296_thumb.p

Thanks for all the positive comments. Being this far North can be depressing when so many nice targets are really low in the sky.

I was only getting about 20 frames per second capture rate ( using Firecapture v2.3 ), and I was concerned this wouldn't be a fast enough frame rate to catch a good number of frames under the Jetstream conditions. I was pleasantly surprised that even with Saturn this low, in less than ideal conditions, I was still able to get a good capture.

I only got the camera in January, and have been working hard on Jupiter, to get to learn the camera in time for Mars and Saturn. Both planets will be getting even lower over the next few years, so this year was really my last best chance for some time.

Archived