Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

France holiday

darthvader

Hey folks

Booked a holiday in France for late June in a small village nr Saint Yrieix La Perche, about 25 miles from Limoges - not specifically for stargazing but might see if i can fit the dob in the car with the dog in the back ! :grin:

Anyone been there or thereabouts ? does it have really good dark skies? looks like the moon phase during the two weeks is favourable too :grin:

I went to Limoges a while ago to pick up our little caravan. It's a big place with plenty of LP, I would say. However, you don't have to be too far out of the city to be in good skies and very nice places. I don't know your village at all but 25 miles is probably far enough to be decent for the sky. Late June this far south is very different from late June in the UK where it is never really dark. You'll be well north of us but well on the way to a few hours of real darkness in June. You could plug it into Stellarium to see your hours of darkness.

Olly

I used to head down there every summer for 4x4 rallies in the Dordogne/Lot/Correze area. Great place and decently dark at night.

If you are not in too much of a rush on the way down turn right and make a detour to Oradour sur Glane, preserved site of a WW11 massacre and a very moving place to visit. Not too far off your route.

(have bottled H2O in the car, it can be mighty hot)

Have a great holiday,

Rich

Archived