NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 130P or Evostar 90

Hi all

Apologies - another 'which scope' question I am afraid.

I would love to be able to go for the 150P / 200P or the Evostar 102 or even the 120 but I am mindful of the amount that I can convince Mrs Danny is sensible to spend on a 'scope and the £130-£150 range is manageable.

Any purchase is a little way off - don't see the point now until the nights are getting longer and I have plenty to be learning with the bins - but I would like to start putting money aside so come late August / September time I can pull the trigger.

So with that in mind which of the above would you go for?  My interests so far are the planets, lunar obs and open clusters (although note I am very new to this).  I would like to be able to make out nebulae also but galaxy chasing no so much I do not think.

I have an understanding of the differences between the dob mounted 130P and the fact the 90 is a refractor but I am also interested in which would give most benefit upgraded eyepieces, barlows and the like.

Viewing will generally be from the back garden in North Sheffield so LP etc will always be a consideration but plan to take the scope out to some reasonably dark spots either.  Transportation considerations not really an issue.

AP will be on the cards at some point in the future and ultimately I will get a larger scope as well but for now want a decent starter that will take well to upgrades such as EP's that I can use in any scope I have.

The 130P, no doubt. It will show more detail on any object you pick, I would say. The 130P is faster, so more in need of better EPs. The MaxVision 68 deg EPs would do VERY nicely for a reasonable price in a scope like that, I find (at least for wide-field observations. The BSTs get a very good press for planetary work.

Not really a simple choice.

The 130P will collect more light but most people that get the Evo90 like them and use them a lot.

Reflectors tend to have a "softer" image then refractors and on planets that is relevant.

The larger aperture is a bit less important as planets tend to be reasonably bright.

Clusters will be an either or situation, collect more light to see a bit more or a little sharper imáge.

DSO's like nebula then simply light collection is the main factor.

The difference in diameter probably points towards the 130P more.

However being a table top item you will need something on which to stand it as well.

Sensible to take your time, maybe see if there is a club nearby and take a look, someone may have the items you mention. At least you get some more idea.

Could you save enough for the 150P Dobsonian??

Hi, both are decent scopes in their own particular way but as I think you realise, are quite different and each will have pros and cons.

The 130 with its much bigger aperture will show the faint fuzzies better than the 90mm refractor but being a fast scope (F5) it will tend to show up the weaker aspects of  the cheaper eyepieces (eg Skywatcher plossls) that many of us tend to buy (its what we can afford!) You also need to keep it well collimated to get it to give of its best - not a big or hard job - but one to think about.

The 90mm refractor will be good for moon/planetary observation and some brighter DSOs. At F10 its much kinder on eyepieces and with something like a 32mm plossl you will get almost 2 degrees fov which is not too narrow. A 32mm in the  F5 130mm is pushing it a bit - 25mm is better - so the fov is not that much greater. Being an achromatic refractor you will get some colour fringing on brighter objects which may or may be an issue for you. The refractor will also be a more rugged device more forgiving to being moved around.

The 130P usualy comes on an EQ2 mount which takes a little getting used to but once you have is good in that it is easy to track objects (especially at higher magnifications) by a tweak on the slomo control.

You can get the 90mm refractor on either an AZ3 which is more intuitive to use, or an equatorial mount . (the small EQ1 mount is best avoided)

So two different beasts.

Having said all that , given that your intended purchase is some months away - have you thought of buying second hand? Somthing like the excellent 150p Dob is just over £200 new but you should be able to pick one up for £150 second hand.

If you keep your eye on "astrobuysell"

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/browse.php

you could pick up a bargain over the summer.

Thank you for the excellent suggestions.  Hadn't really considered secondhand-looking around there are some good deals to be had.  Brings a 120 refractor into the equation as well as 150 or 200 Newts

Sheffield does have a club so may well go along.  I am particularly interested to see the difference in strengths between a reflector and a refractor as that would undoubtedly help my decision.

@Jim - another consideration certainly.

Will have a mull and take my time on a decision.

You could consider this one from Flo, availiable with a RA motor drive for £149.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-astromaster-130eq-telescope.html

Jim

In my experience the 130EQ (motordrive or not) has a few issues that need sorting before it is what I consider usable, whereas I believe the Skywatcher 130P

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html though a little more expensive, is a better package. I'd still look secon hand though.

Shhh, don't tell the wife but I am in conversation with someone on AstroBS (poor acronym right there!) about a 150P - tube + rings and some basic EP's for £75.

I have had a scout around and can source an EQ3 mount secondhand for around the £60-70 mark.  I want to learn to use an EQ mount now so when I dip into AP I know what I am doing so £135-145 for a 150P on a reasonable EQ mount seems a good way to start...

I was telling the wife I had bought the bins and she was actually quite excited.  She is fascinated by the stars so she will certainly be having a look through them.

I am going to have the 150P as well.  Its a cracking deal and too good to pass on - far more scope than I was expecting for the money.

I am going to have the 150P as well. Its a cracking deal and too good to pass on - far more scope than I was expecting for the money.

Sounds like a good deal to me, tell her it was a bargain the wife loves a good bargain. Cheaper than a pair of shoes too ;)

Archived