Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red dot finder

Sorry not used one but what someone should invent is a RDF that turns itself off after a set period, the times I've had to get out of bed to go and check if I've switched it off :)

Dave

Very true, but the batteries last forever!! It must be some form of infinite energy source, I don't think I've ever had to change a battery despite leaving them on for days in some cases :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rigel quikfinder will do and is not much more, I like it anyway :smiley: . My RDF is now almost a year old on the mini DOb, the small battery is still going and left it on one night as well. Often I leave it one during sessions as well so it is on for hours, still not out of juice. The rigel is now getting on for 6 months and also using the small battery ( I don't use the larger battery pack option on it ),  that too is still going fine and I tend to leave that on during sessions for long periods  :smiley:

Here are some reviews including the KSON

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cloudynights.com%2Fdocuments%2F9finders.pdf&ei=wFNaU6TCBKe50QXpjoCACQ&usg=AFQjCNGNaIHFBOWqiTiWpDpzbDu4BEWNWg&bvm=bv.65397613,d.d2k

I'm looking for something else other than my stock finder on my 200p Dob.

The stock finder always goes out of position easly even tho it's correctly fitted. And I find it awkward to use at certain scope positions.

So I need something but must be cheapish, that's why I was looking at the RDF.

Perhaps something like this ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Dot-Finder-Scope-for-telescope-two-hole-fixing-/161264562772

I know it is the bay, but Alan is a good seller.  I use something that looks pretty much identical to that on the min Dob. My only criticism is that the dot is quite fat, the brightness control works reasonable well but it is a little intrusive in small window, and it fogs up really quickly too, a lot quicker than the bigger window on the rigel, but you can put a small shield on it.  That being said it gets the  job done perfectly for me, I find it very accurate in use to locate things. Since the mini Dob does not even have a finder scope, I use that coupled with my lowest power eyepieces, that combo works fine for me.

You may want to look at how you will attach it,  that one I linked looks like you could just use tape to begin with since it is flat underneath ( I think judging by the picture anyway ), as many do with the rigel and telrad to experiment with placing, once happy you could screw it on.

I'm looking for something else other than my stock finder on my 200p Dob.

The stock finder always goes out of position easly even tho it's correctly fitted. And I find it awkward to use at certain scope positions.

So I need something but must be cheapish, that's why I was looking at the RDF.

Hi

I just got my Telrad and I am so happy, you see I was having great difficulty finding stars for star hopping and general "whats that" moments and with hand on heart I am so happy that I got the Telrad over anything else as it has made stargazing a pleasure instead of a frustration.

What I did was to have the scope in the horizontal position and remove the right angled finderscope that I bought to replace the original finderscope and once removed I drew a pencil line from the holes so that I knew where the base for the finderscope needed to go as I wanted to reattach it in a different position and then original holes were taped up I then positioned the Telrad and fixed it down with the double sided tape next to the eyepiece and then I drilled new holes for the finderscopes new home, once done I left the scope in the horizontal position and got a vacuum and sucked out any swarf and dust from the new drill holes, and then aligned everything, very easy to do on my 200P DOB

post-36685-0-87803100-1398431760_thumb.j

I have a Telrad and the more basic sort (see post 11). They both do the job, but both suffer from dewing up quickly. Happily a dew shield is available for the Telrad and it works a treat for me. I got the the one with the diagonal mirror and with a bit if practice this works great for targets towards the zenith with my Dob. I also love the old fashioned but serious design. It reminds me of lab instruments I used in the early 70's

Archived