Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I got the bits for my easel...

The Warthog

I had decided to use a piece of 10" or 12" shelving to make the easel, so I went into the hardware store today, down to the back where they sell shelving. The guy at the cutting station was about to cut, yea verily, piece of 12" white shelving for a customer. He left a piece about 2' long. So, I said to the customer, "Is that piece going to be scrap?"

He said, "Oh, I'll take it home and do something with it. Why, do you want it?"

I said, "It's exactly what I need; I'll buy it from you."

He said, "Oh, you can have it, no problem."

Only saved a couple of dollars, but I felt very pleased. I picked up a piece of 1x2 oak, and some hardware, and I'm ready to go. I intend to put it together this afternoon, in my basement, but I won't have a picture for a while.

Usually, I would have waited until I had the thing assembled and photographed, but I felt quite pleased with myself.

Yep. I just discovered that the light I had picked out is a 12v model, and there isn't a matching 6v bulb, so I have to get a different light, and I went to the Canadian Tire store without my bank card, and couldn't buy the part I want, and now I'm all teed off. :x :x

It should take about 20 minutes to put together.

I forgot to mention I also made an easel, this was for solar projecton and scetchs of the moon I did when I got my first dobs 6inch reflector from beacon hill

It was made from a tasco 60mm refractor ( one of my first scopes that I dropped and broken the lens :lol: )

Mark

post-12782-133877318062_thumb.jpg

post-12782-133877318066_thumb.jpg

i cant wait to see your finished product wh, i havnt had chance to get on the forum since my hols, too tired with work and stuff, im sure you understand :lol:, i havnt even had chance to sharpen me pencils, never mind trying to draw again, :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed the easel. I'm not very happy with the finished product only because I don't have a table saw, and my cuts were a little rough, so I'll have another go in the spring, when I expect to have a table saw.

Here's a picture. I did a rough drawing, as I don't have a digital camera, and it will take a week to a month to get a digital pic, process it and get it back here. Unless I steal the work camera for a night.... I used a trailer clearance light with a yellow lens to illuminate the easel. It has a switch on the back, and will connect to the same 6v battery I use for my accessory tray.

The single leg is a piece of 1x2 oak, which swivels between two cabinet maker's corner braces, on a #10 brass machine screw with a wingnut to increase tension on it. It holds the book well enough, but you can't lean heavily on it.

post-12776-133877318243_thumb.jpg

Nice project, what do you use for feet?

Captain Chaos

Oh, this time o't year I put a pair of snowboots on... Oh, you mean the easel. :lol: I just left it cut square. I am looking around for some hockey stick tape to wrap the bottom in, but it's going to be used on grass, mostly, so I don't need much.

Archived