Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam Help.

The camera is color. That is not going to change. By removing the lens Assembly for the mod, you also removed the UV/IR cut filter and so the sensor is now also sensitive in the UV/IR range, causing the pink hue.

The same happens when you fully astro modify a DSLR by removing the filter entirely, then you also get a pink hue on daytime photos. But on the DSLR you can compensate for this by adjusting the white Balance in camera settings (cheapest option) or using a clip filter or filter on the lens.

With your webcam you can either adjust this in processing afterwards or use a UV/IR cut filter (like the one I posted in the link yesterday).

Thanks for the info. Due to the camera now being visible to IR/UV will I need to edit pictures of planets etc. I understand I have to stack them but will the pink hue show up on planetary images?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have thought that for planetary imaging you wouldn't need a IR/UV filter since you are viewing only reflected light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.

Some of the planets give off a fair bit in the IR range too.

James

Hi

I'd have thought that for planetary imaging you wouldn't need a IR/UV filter since you are viewing only reflected light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.

Louise

One of the techniques for planetary imaging is to shoot RGBL with a mono camera. The luminance channel is recorded through an IR pass filter (visible light is blocked by the filter and only IR light is allowed through) . A similar technique is used for lunar imaging in mono using only a IR pass filter.

Thanks for the info. Due to the camera now being visible to IR/UV will I need to edit pictures of planets etc. I understand I have to stack them but will the pink hue show up on planetary images?

It shouldn´t be as prominent during nighttime when planetary imaging. It´s much more prominent during daytime.

But in either case. A cheap filter like the Baader UV/IR cut filter will take care of it.

i think what you need to do is slow down 

Camera modded , Yes , Camera test works, Yes 

camera fitted into new Body/housing ? Yes / no 

Camera has IR filter , NO 

you stop here and wait, take your camera and a tub with a nice tight seal on it.

CAREFULLY place camera INTO tub and seal lid, move this carefully to a place where it will not be moved around.

when your filter arrives, find a very clean area, open your filter and have it ready, open your tub,

Remove camera and carefully screw filter on ,

DO NOT, touch. poke, prod, breath, blow, scratch with nail and or rub sensor with a cotton bud.

DO NOT touch it !!!!! full stop. any dust getting on that sensor will ruin what you have set out to do.

You must keep this sensor dust free and hence stored in a dust free enviroment until needed/used

why because i know, i made the same stupid mistakes and paid for it,  soon as you have that filter your ok to go,

but for time being keep that sensor clear of dust and packed away ready for the filter install.

i think what you need to do is slow down

Camera modded , Yes , Camera test works, Yes

camera fitted into new Body/housing ? Yes / no

Camera has IR filter , NO

you stop here and wait, take your camera and a tub with a nice tight seal on it.

CAREFULLY place camera INTO tub and seal lid, move this carefully to a place where it will not be moved around.

when your filter arrives, find a very clean area, open your filter and have it ready, open your tub,

Remove camera and carefully screw filter on ,

DO NOT, touch. poke, prod, breath, blow, scratch with nail and or rub sensor with a cotton bud.

DO NOT touch it !!!!! full stop. any dust getting on that sensor will ruin what you have set out to do.

You must keep this sensor dust free and hence stored in a dust free enviroment until needed/used

why because i know, i made the same stupid mistakes and paid for it, soon as you have that filter your ok to go,

but for time being keep that sensor clear of dust and packed away ready for the filter install.

But I can use software to fix the IR/UV

But I can use software to fix the IR/UV

Try that white Balance slider in that program you downloaded during daytime and see what happens. ;)

Also take good notice as what Tam said in previous post. It´s important to cover the camera after each use.

That´s why I used the end barrel of an Eyepiece with my mod, so I could just use the end cap of the eyepiece when storing away the camera. :)

Try that white Balance slider in that program you downloaded during daytime and see what happens. ;)

Also take good notice as what Tam said in previous post. It´s important to cover the camera after each use.

That´s why I used the end barrel of an Eyepiece with my mod, so I could just use the end cap of the eyepiece when storing away the camera. :)

The tree should be green :p

upe7y4u4.jpg

You played around by moving the white Balance slider all the way left and all the way right and didn´t notice a single difference in the frame?

Sounds more like the program is unable to change the white balance of the webcam then. :(

Try also play a bit with Temperature, Tint and Saturation and see if that has any effect.

Then you can see if any of these settings work at all with the webcam.

yes you can use software but ..... 

your video is say 1gb from the camera, so you import this into your computer software.

now you find you have 10,000 images that make up the video, and each one has to be converted from IR to false color.

Now thats a very long time at the computer working, you could maybe run a batch script to speed up a few things. 

more simple is, wait for the filter stick it on, record upload, but you do not need to convert from IR, less time

more play more fun..... more work less play just makes you more stressed and unwilling to sit and rinse the images.

cleaning a sensor in a webcam is a fairly hard thing to do, they are very small and tend to have sharp edges,

cotton buds catch on them and tear leaving strands on the sensor, dust can settle and if damp stick to the sensor.

you have gone to a lot of work and effort to gain the camera, tear it down and ready it, the worse thing is the sensor becoming

spoilt before you even captured first true dark light. and having to convert thousands of images is not fun to.

so my advice would be slow down a little , take your time, have all the required parts to hand then make your move.

set out a couple hours alone in a quiet area with your tools. once finished you will be more proud you took the time

effort and ended up with a totally differnet product from what it once was.

You played around by moving the white Balance slider all the way left and all the way right and didn´t notice a single difference in the frame?

Sounds more like the program is unable to change the white balance of the webcam then. :(

Try also play a bit with Temperature, Tint and Saturation and see if that has any effect.

Then you can see if any of these settings work at all with the webcam.

The colour did change, but not to the true colour that a tree should be

yes you can use software but .....

your video is say 1gb from the camera, so you import this into your computer software.

now you find you have 10,000 images that make up the video, and each one has to be converted from IR to false color.

Now thats a very long time at the computer working, you could maybe run a batch script to speed up a few things.

more simple is, wait for the filter stick it on, record upload, but you do not need to convert from IR, less time

more play more fun..... more work less play just makes you more stressed and unwilling to sit and rinse the images.

cleaning a sensor in a webcam is a fairly hard thing to do, they are very small and tend to have sharp edges,

cotton buds catch on them and tear leaving strands on the sensor, dust can settle and if damp stick to the sensor.

you have gone to a lot of work and effort to gain the camera, tear it down and ready it, the worse thing is the sensor becoming

spoilt before you even captured first true dark light. and having to convert thousands of images is not fun to.

so my advice would be slow down a little , take your time, have all the required parts to hand then make your move.

set out a couple hours alone in a quiet area with your tools. once finished you will be more proud you took the time

effort and ended up with a totally differnet product from what it once was.

Right. What filter would you say I should order?

The colour did change, but not to the true colour that a tree should be

Noooooooo 

listen forget what WE humans see, our eyes are tuned to green, digital cameras are tuned to us,

because we see green more so do cameras.

now in IR anything green and alive like tree leaves  , grass bushes and the likes they Soak up/reflect  IR ( use it to convert sugars and energy)

and these will become WHITE, but at the moment they are pink and this is because of the white balance and the camera thinking in green like you are.

pop a soldering iron onto heat, let it warm up, now point a modded camera at the iron and it glows a dark color, this is infact the HEAT or IR wavelength

your camera sees, but with your eyes you do not see nothing, ( we poor humans cannot see into the IR band )

a modded camera running in the IR wavelength and given false color looks like this, ( taken with a canon 350D and IR72filtering system)

post-16869-0-34616100-1398342011_thumb.j

Noooooooo 

listen forget what WE humans see, our eyes are tuned to green, digital cameras are tuned to us,

because we see green more so do cameras.

now in IR anything green and alive like tree leaves  , grass bushes and the likes they Soak up/reflect  IR ( use it to convert sugars and energy)

and these will become WHITE, but at the moment they are pink and this is because of the white balance and the camera thinking in green like you are.

pop a soldering iron onto heat, let it warm up, now point a modded camera at the iron and it glows a dark color, this is infact the HEAT or IR wavelength

your camera sees, but with your eyes you do not see nothing, ( we poor humans cannot see into the IR band )

a modded camera running in the IR wavelength and given false color looks like this, ( taken with a canon 350D and IR72filtering system)

attachicon.gifInfrared sureal HDR.jpg

So, i can pick up an IR/UV Cut filter, do i need it to buy that or can i just buy the IR Filter

So, i can pick up an IR/UV Cut filter, do i need it to buy that or can i just buy the IR Filter

its upto you, 

you could buy either, i cannot say yeah buy this one/that one, but i went the cheapest option for me at the time 

my filtering cost me around £27 for a 1.25" filter its a IR/UV filter

once you have a filter, the camera will be like it was before you hacked it, but with a bigger lens ie your telescope.

But the new filter will cut out all the IR stuff you dont really need at this time. 

so checklist would look something like this. 

Mod camera 

install camera to new body

Install filter to camera,

quick camera test /filter test.

each time keep camera nice and safe away from dust in a little tub with a lid on. once you have the filter installed you can the be sure NO DUST will enter

the chamber leading to the sensor surface. 

its upto you, 

you could buy either, i cannot say yeah buy this one/that one, but i went the cheapest option for me at the time 

my filtering cost me around £27 for a 1.25" filter its a IR/UV filter

once you have a filter, the camera will be like it was before you hacked it, but with a bigger lens ie your telescope.

But the new filter will cut out all the IR stuff you dont really need at this time. 

so checklist would look something like this. 

Mod camera 

install camera to new body

Install filter to camera,

quick camera test /filter test.

each time keep camera nice and safe away from dust in a little tub with a lid on. once you have the filter installed you can the be sure NO DUST will enter

the chamber leading to the sensor surface. 

Thanks alot, you all have helped me out a great deal. I will be sure to tell anyone that is looking to get into this hobby to either speak to you guys or look at this thread.

Are you able to link me to where you got your filter from?

Thanks alot guys for helping :)

Ben

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/ac582-filters.html

its been out of stock for a while now, but i am sure the Guys over at Firstlight Optics could help you out,

or maybe even find a nice cheap alternate for the newcomers to webcam modding. 

i would pop them a phone call or even a email/message on website

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/

Archived