NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcam Help.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/ac582-filters.html

its been out of stock for a while now, but i am sure the Guys over at Firstlight Optics could help you out,

or maybe even find a nice cheap alternate for the newcomers to webcam modding.

i would pop them a phone call or even a email/message on website

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/

TS also sell their own branding of filters that are lower priced.

But don't know how much difference in shipping costs will still make that filter cheap enough to bother.

Worth to check too perhaps.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1572_TS-Optics---1-25--IR---UV-cut-filter.html

I used that one myself at the time.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TS also sell their own branding of filters that are lower priced.

But don't know how much difference in shipping costs will still make that filter cheap enough to bother.

Worth to check too perhaps.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1572_TS-Optics---1-25--IR---UV-cut-filter.html

I used that one myself at the time.

Sorry to be a pain, but what company is TS?

Yes that one seems to only cut the IR, but for pure planetary imaging purposes that's fine.

If you want to use your webcam also for white light solar imaging by using a Baader solar film on the telescope. Then it's better to go for the UV and IR cut filter.

The UV and IR cut filter is also needed when you use it with observing the sun in whitelight with Baader solarfilm on the telescope.

So keep that in mind with your purchase.

The UV and IR cut filter is more versatile and can be used for multiple purposes.

I did also a lot of white light solar observing and imaging. Especially during the summer months when it doesn't get dark up here for several months.

So that's why I went with the UV and IR cut filter. So I didn't have to buy two filters in the end and spend twice the money. ;)

While your waiting for things to come / save up pennys like we all do.

there are other things one can be doing to ready themselves for astro imaging.

now a key part to imaging is focusing, if we are just a fraction out we get a not so good

image, so a Focus mask is something to work on.

i made my bahtinov focus mask from a sheet of thin card, i put my telescope

focal length and apeture into the website and in return i was delivered an image to copy/print.

an hour later i had what looked like a slip on solar filter but it  was a focusing mask.

it works wonderful with my microsoft HD5000 webcam and also my canon 350D.

so well worth making one, just use a very sharp knife and a good clean ruler.

i made one for my 114mm telescope and use the same one to focus my little ST80 travelscope

http://astrojargon.net/MaskGenerator.aspx

Yes that one seems to only cut the IR, but for pure planetary imaging purposes that's fine.

If you want to use your webcam also for white light solar imaging by using a Baader solar film on the telescope. Then it's better to go for the UV and IR cut filter.

The UV and IR cut filter is also needed when you use it with observing the sun in whitelight with Baader solarfilm on the telescope.

So keep that in mind with your purchase.

The UV and IR cut filter is more versatile and can be used for multiple purposes.

I did also a lot of white light solar observing and imaging. Especially during the summer months when it doesn't get dark up here for several months.

So that's why I went with the UV and IR cut filter. So I didn't have to buy two filters in the end and spend twice the money. ;)

Just a quick question, is it worth attaching the lense cover back onto the modded camera?

eme9a8yh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that would serve no purpose other than causing vignetting.

Just got back in from a bit of plane spotting if you will, i recorded a video using the modded webcam for about 1 minute in black and white, i was able to see some faint marks on jupiter, nothing too exciting, im currently using registax, any suggestions on any features ti use on registax to enhance the pic?

Just got back in from a bit of plane spotting if you will, i recorded a video using the modded webcam for about 1 minute in black and white, i was able to see some faint marks on jupiter, nothing too exciting, im currently using registax, any suggestions on any features ti use on registax to enhance the pic?

Planet spotting not plane spotting

No that would serve no purpose other than causing vignetting.

Would it be possible for someone to take the raw footage that I took and adjust do some stuff to it just so i can see what to get out of the footage. it would be much appreciated.

link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5x4i2vua5cmvz3/BTV%20Movie%20003%20%28Converted%29.mp4

Thanks

By watching the video it looks like it's out of focus and maybe also that the seeing conditions were very bad as well.

You migh benefit from a Bahtinov mask to get the focus right.

You can buy one for Your 130SLT for like 10 bucks or make one yourself, like the link posted a few posts up.

the sky was clear, so its possibly the focusing.

oh, ok, I have looked online at this focusing mask, but i am still unsure how to make one and use one :(

When clicking on the link. Fill in 650 as focal length and 130 as aperture. Leave everything else default and click generate. Save file. Print out and use it as overlay on a piece of strong carton you can buy at any artist / Office supply shop.

Tho a bahtinov mask can be bought cheap here and be done with it:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/starsharp-bahtinov-focus-masks.html

Just call FLO and ask which one you need, as I don't see the 130SLT in the list.

Here is a short description how a bahtinov mask Works:

http://www.spike-a.com/

When clicking on the link. Fill in 650 as focal length and 130 as aperture. Leave everything else default and click generate. Save file. Print out and use it as overlay on a piece of strong carton you can buy at any artist / Office supply shop.

Tho a bahtinov mask can be bought cheap here and be done with it:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/starsharp-bahtinov-focus-masks.html

Just call FLO and ask which one you need, as I don't see the 130SLT in the list.

Here is a short description how a bahtinov mask Works:

http://www.spike-a.com/

it says i need to focus on a star, do i then need to re-focus when i point the scope at a planet?

right heres the settings for a CELESTRON 130 SLT ONLY !!! 

in the boxes add these numbers , going from top down. 

Focal length : 650

Apeture : 130 

Edge thickness : 10 - 20 

now scroll down a little and find Horizontal slot count and put this to 5

now scroll down a little more and find  Angle slot count and put this to 5

now scroll all the way to the bottom and click generate.

a small box pops up asking you to save, so save this file.

now go and double click the file you saved, it will open up in a browser as a picture of a focusing mask, right click and select PRINT.

it will now send this image to your printer and print out your mask. 

cut this mask out and mount it to a stiff card, use a very sharp knife and a straight ruler

TAKE YOUR TIME !!! 

Once finish we will hang this mask over the front of the telescope, we will next start to focus a star.

notice the difraction spikes  \ I /  shape 

now when your out of focus the line in the middle will move left or right hence \I / or \ I/

only and only when the shape \I/ is formed will the image/star be in focus, remove mask

and sure as the star is a shining pinpoint not a wobbly blob. 

Trust us, just go take the afternoon/evening and carefully construct a focus mask,

take time cutting this out, you want those black printed areas to stay.

next your going to be careful and pop a couple tabs on this card mask so it stays on the front of your scope. 

once you have done the above, you can pop out and have a look at the new piece of gear you made for nothing

and a focus mask thats going to help you alot. test it out on planets, and bright stars like spica pyrcon and the likes.

when those spikes all line up nice and even just slip the mask off and have a look at the now focused image

right heres the settings for a CELESTRON 130 SLT ONLY !!! 

in the boxes add these numbers , going from top down. 

Focal length : 650

Apeture : 130 

Edge thickness : 10 - 20 

now scroll down a little and find Horizontal slot count and put this to 5

now scroll down a little more and find  Angle slot count and put this to 5

now scroll all the way to the bottom and click generate.

a small box pops up asking you to save, so save this file.

now go and double click the file you saved, it will open up in a browser as a picture of a focusing mask, right click and select PRINT.

it will now send this image to your printer and print out your mask. 

cut this mask out and mount it to a stiff card, use a very sharp knife and a straight ruler

TAKE YOUR TIME !!! 

Once finish we will hang this mask over the front of the telescope, we will next start to focus a star.

notice the difraction spikes  \ I /  shape 

now when your out of focus the line in the middle will move left or right hence \I / or \ I/

only and only when the shape \I/ is formed will the image/star be in focus, remove mask

and sure as the star is a shining pinpoint not a wobbly blob. 

Trust us, just go take the afternoon/evening and carefully construct a focus mask,

take time cutting this out, you want those black printed areas to stay.

next your going to be careful and pop a couple tabs on this card mask so it stays on the front of your scope. 

once you have done the above, you can pop out and have a look at the new piece of gear you made for nothing

and a focus mask thats going to help you alot. test it out on planets, and bright stars like spica pyrcon and the likes.

when those spikes all line up nice and even just slip the mask off and have a look at the now focused image

Thankyou very much!!

I you mentioned when looking through the scope at a star i will see spikes like \I/

will i see the difraction spikes on planets?

thanks for the help

You do know that if you manage that James... You will become a legend :-)

Well, I've not put a lot of effort in yet as I'm still trying to sort out release 0.0.5 of oacapture, but I do now having it building and running on OSX, and I have two "widely used planetary imaging cameras" at the point where they should work :D  Looks like I have some bugs in oacapture still to iron out though as the application won't display any images yet.

James

Thankyou very much!!

I you mentioned when looking through the scope at a star i will see spikes like \I/

will i see the difraction spikes on planets?

thanks for the help

Have a try, looks like tonight maybe worth a go. 

just practice with eyepiece first get used to using the focus mask.

when your camera filter has arrived and you have done the modding,

pop camera in and have a play one evening, with and without mask. 

Archived