Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom EP recommendations

lookhigh

Not tried the Hyperion, however I found the celestron really lacking compared to even reasonably priced ep duchvas the bst range.

The build quality did seem pretty good though.

I'm not sure what you use it for, but I am so glad I swapped to fixed eyepieces.

Some time back ( about 4 years) I had the Meade 8-24mm zoom for a few months which I found to be very good for what it was, I'm not a big zoom fan, I also do not believe it costs as much as the Baader. I recall the Sky at Night mag liked it too.

Alan

I'm not a big zoom fan either although I recently acquired a Baader Hyperion Zoom MkIII to use with my big refractor and I've been quite pleasantly surprised how well it has performed apart from at the 24mm setting where the field of view drops suddenly to around 40 degrees and the field edges become a little mushy. It's pretty good in the 20mm - 8mm range though. 

With the exception of the Nagler zooms, the Zeiss ASPH zoom and possibly the Pentax XL zooms I feel that good fixed focal length eyepieces will perform a little better than the zoom equivalents but sometimes it's nice to have the convenience of a zoom.

Archived