Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder bracket options

Hi all

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a mounting bracket for a 9 x 50 SW finder that's shorter than the standard one? I use it as a finder guider and would like to be able to have the finder closer to the scope tube. Any ideas?

Thanks

Louise

Hi

Thanks. I suppose I really wanted something that would still fit in the finder shoe but I don't think it exists. The side-by-side mountings are way too expensive for what they are and I'm not sure one would do what I want. Maybe I'll try Velcro and tape... Sometimes I wish I had my own engineering workshop!

Louise

These work out surprisingly cheap from the US. Add £16 shipping, 4% import tax, 20% VAT and (typically £8) handling.

If you can find it in the UK or the EU, that's even better.

I've had a lot of stuff from the US from the likes of Agena and Hands On Optics, because their service is very good and because the selection the Yanks have often means you stand more of a chance of getting exactly what you want.

Russell

Hi

Thanks - that would probably do except it doesn't look like it would fit the dovetail shoe :(. It looks like Rother Valley Optics may actually do a finder bracket. It's not clear how tall it is though. I'll drop them a line :)

Louise

My point in choosing the one with the 6" base, was that the shoes are very easy to change, my assumption being that it was going to be mounted on the 150pds?

Russell

My point in choosing the one with the 6" base, was that the shoes are very easy to change, my assumption being that it was going to be mounted on the 150pds?

Russell

Hi Russell

Yes, but I'm not about to drill holes in the tube... I don't have the wherewithal for doing that!

Thanks

Louise

Hi all

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a mounting bracket for a 9 x 50 SW finder that's shorter than the standard one? I use it as a finder guider and would like to be able to have the finder closer to the scope tube. Any ideas?

Thanks

Louise

Hi louise,

I have one of these but I don't think that they sell the mounting bracket separately, in any case it wouldn't hurt to drop Peter at Opticstar a line , I find him a very helpful chap.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_0_3_350

Regards,

A.G

Hi louise,

I have one of these but I don't think that they sell the mounting bracket separately, in any case it wouldn't hurt to drop Peter at Opticstar a line , I find him a very helpful chap.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_0_3_350

Regards,

A.G

Hi A.G.

Thanks - that looks like a nice piece of kit. However, I don't particularly want to splash out on a whole new guidescope and I don't think I have any way of fixing it to the tube anyway. I'll try and figure out another way of attaching the finder to the tube.

Thanks for trying! :)

Louise

Hi Louise,

It's a relatively simple job to shorten the finder scope bracket, do you know anyone who might have suitable skills and tools?

This is one I modified, I wanted to mount my right angle finder closer to the tube on my dob to help with balance when viewing near zenith.

post-26021-0-83938100-1397914475_thumb.j

Hi A.G.

Thanks - that looks like a nice piece of kit. However, I don't particularly want to splash out on a whole new guidescope and I don't think I have any way of fixing it to the tube anyway. I'll try and figure out another way of attaching the finder to the tube.

Thanks for trying! :)

Louise

Hi Louise,

I totally understand, but I think that the mod suggested by JED _E3 is quite simple to do if you have access to so a hack saw and a 4 mm tap and a couple of pieces of flat aluminium bars about 3mm thick .  Cut the support to the required height, drill 3.2mm through the flat pieces and through the remaining support and tap for 4mm scocket head screws. If you know someone with a drill and a tap it is a simple 10 minutes job. Sorry if I am being Presumptuous.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Louise,

It's a relatively simple job to shorten the finder scope bracket, do you know anyone who might have suitable skills and tools?

This is one I modified, I wanted to mount my right angle finder closer to the tube on my dob to help with balance when viewing near zenith.

Hi Jed

Brilliant job! Unfortunately I don't have facilities for doing such things and don't know anyone who could do it :(

I've done my own mod now involving strong rubber bands ;) It seems quite firm against the tube but I obviously need to test it. Any sign of flex or unexpected behaviour and I'll ditch it! Still, it's cheap and cheerful!

Cheers

Louise

Archived