Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie needs advice! broken??

Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum for a while, using it for advice on which beginner telescope to get.

I took the plunge and bought a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT. It arrived yesterday. I was beyond excited! I (very carefully) set it up, making sure I took my time and knew where everything went. Watched a youtube vid, as the instructions weren't great.

Anyway when i finished I took the cap off to discover one of the spider vanes (I think that's what they're called) is bent. Quite noticably too. Now, i'm pretty sure it shouldn't look like that. Should I try to fix it??

I am a complete newbie, so any advice would really be appreciated :huh: :huh: :huh:

thank you :smiley:

post-36436-0-42214100-1396432356_thumb.j

Nope it certainly shouldn't look like that. I would check the entire scope over to see if anything else is bent or dented - it looks like it's had a knock in transit. Call up the supplier and let them know immediately - they should collect it for repair or replacement if they're any good. :)

Hello and welcome to SGL. The spider vanes shouldn't look like that. If it is new contact the retailer who will exchange the telescope or refund you. If it is second hand you could try the seller. Failing that it should be fairly simple to straighten the vane. You will need to remove the vane and carefully straighten it , after which you will then need to recollimate the telescope.

Shame on your first outing this happens, but like has been mentioned, telescopes are not toys, they are scientific instruments, I always think that if one thing is damaged then you wonder what else may be. Do make sure they replace it, dont allow any repair etc, you want like for like, new for new, you are protected under the law as well, so just ask for a complete new scope and ask that they check it before shipping.

Thank you,

You are all very right, if its been thrown about in transit, who else knows what could be wrong with it. And as a beginner I wouldn't know!

I've just sent an email about it now, awaiting a response.

But luckily for me i took pics of the unboxing process which made it much easier to get back into the box!

It hasn't put me off though. I have wanted a telescope for years. This is just a small bump in the road... :smiley:

Archived