NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rich galaxy group spotted

mdstuart

"Its as if someone has just thrown a whole load of galaxies on to a black background.."

I have been working the sky using the TAKI star atlas and it shows most galaxies I have been able to pick up with my old 10 inch...Occasionally I find one or two not listed..

But not nine in a lovely group..

It seems I have stumbled on the NGC 4065 group in COMA B..

At 325 million light years away (according to the atlas of the universe ...amazing site!) this group is part of the great wall which contains the Leo and Coma super- clusters..

Here's a pick from the DSS.. 

post-1454-0-84946500-1395694370_thumb.jp

It seems that there is a lot of confusion in the NGC numbering around here... anyway I managed to spot NGC 4090 / 4091 / 4092 / 4066 / 4059 / 4057 / 4056 / 4076 and 4053...They are mostly mag 13...

Just when you think you have seen all the best sights and you come across this....the best galaxy night for a long time.

Mark

Mark

What a find! Was this a new group on you?

I've just looked this little lot up in Stellarium. They list the component galaxies as being either mag 14 or 15. Seems a bit odd when you consider that they are all listed as integers. Have they made an error? Hope so, otherwise this bundle of joy will be out of my range (not that this would stop me having a look) :)

Thanks for an enjoyable report.

Paul

Brilliant galaxy cluster. Looked at this last year and went back to it this year.

Plenty to look at in my 8" newt just need some more of those crystal clear crisp nights to take advantage of the journey through them.

Archived