Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problems opening files in GIMP

After getting all my subs stacked in DSS and saving my final picture in a file on the desktop (TIFF) when I try to tweak it in GIMP, it won't open properly. All that comes up is a checker board. Where am I going wrong and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks Michael for the mention of ImageJ. I too hadn't come across it but have just been investigating -- highly extensible tool, which is always of interest to programmers...

see http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/

Here's a video describing how one might use it for initial astro image processing (darks, flats etc)

http://vimeo.com/album/2398838/video/66931572

Martin

After getting all my subs stacked in DSS and saving my final picture in a file on the desktop (TIFF) when I try to tweak it in GIMP, it won't open properly.

Hmm - how are you saving it from DSS? I do this all the time saving at 16bit and GIMP opens them with no problem (apart from the fact that they are 16bit so gimp scales them to 8bit!)

NigelM

I have a folder on the desktop that I made for the stacked image. Before I start the stacking process, I select this folder in the output options section. After stacking It is saved there as a TIFF. Then after the final image is displayed at the top of DSS I also save it as 16bit TIFF with a different name (so I have both image files but can tell them apart) in the same folder. But when I try to open either of them in GIMP, I get a flash on the screen of some sort of error messages about the image and I just get a checkered screen. It's starting to bug me as I thought GIMP should be able to open a TIFF file? Maybe something happened when I downloaded GIMP? Info of the pics I saved in the folder say they are TIFF?

Still no go with being able to convert TIFF into something I can open in GIMP. A few things I read online said that to convert the images first open them in GIMP. Well how can I open it in GIMP if Gimp won't open it? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

I downloaded the AstroimageJ and when trying to install it, it says I need some sort of java file and to open the file so it can be used. I have no clue where this file would be. I looked in every folder that downloaded with AIJ and I'm still stuck.  I apologize if none of this makes sense. I am not the most computer literate person. Any suggestions?

its possible your trying to open the tiff file as layers. 

have a try at this, dont drag and drop images into gimp. it complains they are not 8bit.

open gimp, at top click, File  - Open 

now browse to your image/images

select the tiff you require hit OPEN.

a small box will appear , (import from tiff )

click the Open pages to IMAGES and not the layers default.

you should now have your tiff imported into gimp in 16/8 bit as an image .

hope this helps and works to solve your problem.

Paul

(apart from the fact that they are 16bit so gimp scales them to 8bit!)

I thought I read somewhere that GIMP can now do 16bit

but I've just been looking round their website and can see no mention of a 16bit version ( except a hoped for v3 !)

(other than some obscure branch sw !)

Gosh it has been a long time promised now :( !

Artweaver is a slightly gimpish feeling sw that can do 16bit (but fails to do other things that gimp is good at ! sigh! )

its possible your trying to open the tiff file as layers. 

have a try at this, dont drag and drop images into gimp. it complains they are not 8bit.

open gimp, at top click, File  - Open 

now browse to your image/images

select the tiff you require hit OPEN.

a small box will appear , (import from tiff )

click the Open pages to IMAGES and not the layers default.

you should now have your tiff imported into gimp in 16/8 bit as an image .

hope this helps and works to solve your problem.

Paul

Tried that and still the same thing. It opens a grey checkerboard box.

Does the file name contain any spaces or unusual characters? Probably clutching at straws but some programs are fussy.

Nope nothing unusual.

This is getting frustrating lol.

Archived