Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging targets for SGL 9?

michaelmorris

The southern and western horizons being the best, something in Leo for starters and if the nights are kind and long then summer targets like IC1396 are do-able in the wee hours. 

With the wider angle kit, Markarians chain?  

Might be worth ditching the barlow and going with native focal length for some galaxy clusters. The Markarian chain is always in prime position for SGL star parties, I will be going for that and the Needle galaxy (one I cant get from home). Perhaps a Leo triplet too?

Depending on what time it gets dark, you might be able to catch the scrag-end of Orion too.

I sky and river condition allow then Orion over the wye works well and the LP isn't too bad . You  just need to go across the fence to get a decent alignment along the river although I will probably take some rope and a ground anchor with me this year as you want to be right on the edge of the bank... 

I need to get all the camera and lens combos sorted in the software and check out some likely targets...

Peter...

Might be worth ditching the barlow and going with native focal length for some galaxy clusters. The Markarian chain is always in prime position for SGL star parties, I will be going for that and the Needle galaxy (one I cant get from home). Perhaps a Leo triplet too?

Depending on what time it gets dark, you might be able to catch the scrag-end of Orion too.

Markarian chain also ! I've never attempted to image it before so I'll be going for it with the QHY8.

I think I may decide:

a) solar - whitelight and spectrograph

B) M42 with the spectrograph

c) I know everyone says pick one target and do that.. but I feel the desire todo some luminance-only hopping.. 

I may even.. *gasp* go visual!

Markarian chain also ! I've never attempted to image it before so I'll be going for it with the QHY8.

Well, I might be short of a 2" filter or two (limited funds for new filters) its either Ha and OIII or just R & B. So I will be up for sharing some Lum data from the 130pds and 383L+, Im thinking of getting the chain and a whole lot more in the general area (2 or 3 panes, if the weather holds out). I might also bring along the 80ED and 1000d again to fill in the colour should I opt to buy narrowband filters first.

Michael, there isnt much Ha about at this time of year. About the best thing on offer is the Cone nebula or perhaps the rosette, but anything lower than that in orion can risk getting flashed by a red light headtorch as people go walkabout (or stagger about in my case!).

Well, I might be short of a 2" filter or two (limited funds for new filters) its either Ha and OIII or just R & B. So I will be up for sharing some Lum data from the 130pds and 383L+, Im thinking of getting the chain and a whole lot more in the general area (2 or 3 panes, if the weather holds out). I might also bring along the 80ED and 1000d again to fill in the colour should I opt to buy narrowband filters first.

Michael, there isnt much Ha about at this time of year. About the best thing on offer is the Cone nebula or perhaps the rosette, but anything lower than that in orion can risk getting flashed by a red light headtorch as people go walkabout (or stagger about in my case!).

I'll be using the 80ED with the QHY8 so you could use the colour data from that as well. You do the mono, I'll do the colour ! :)

Spikey, on 18 Mar 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:Spikey, on 18 Mar 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

I'll be using the 80ED with the QHY8 so you could use the colour data from that as well. You do the mono, I'll do the colour ! :)

Sorted! All we need to agree is a starting place. If youre up for a 2 pane mosaic, M86 (centrally placed) would be a good starting point - then we can overlap to the left at The Eyes. Then if youre feeling lucky - another pane to the left of that one will bag us M89 and M90 (at a push) and another fistfull of galaxies:

post-5513-0-93579700-1395165763_thumb.jp

I'd like to avoid rotating my camera if poss, at the moment its set up at the same angle as it would be if mounted square to the focuser on a refractor - which on a newt, is actually rotated by 90deg!

Sorted! All we need to agree is a starting place. If youre up for a 2 pane mosaic, M86 (centrally placed) would be a good starting point - then we can overlap to the left at The Eyes. Then if youre feeling lucky - another pane to the left of that one will bag us M89 and M90 (at a push) and another fistfull of galaxies:

attachicon.gifMarkarian.jpg

I'd like to avoid rotating my camera if poss, at the moment its set up at the same angle as it would be if mounted square to the focuser on a refractor - which on a newt, is actually rotated by 90deg!

Sounds like a plan ! I'll do a screenshot of my FOV and post it up when I get on the other laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Imaging targets finally decided (note: - given the weather forecast this list is very much aspirational!). All imaged with 2 x DSLR cameras

Camera  1

NGC 2244 (Rosette Nebula) - 80ED with focal reducer

NGC 7822 - 80ED with focal reducer

Markarian's Chain (centred on NGC 4438 ) - 80ED with focal reducer

M81 + M82  - 80ED with 2.5x barlow

M101 - 80ED with 2.5x barlow

M44 - 80ED with focal reducer

Camera 2

NGC 7822 - 200 mm lens

Markarian's Chain (centred on NGC 4459) -  200 mm lens

Cygnus rift (centred on NGC 6820) - 50 mm lens

Star trails - 18mm lens

So its a case of a cloud-dodging smash and grab tonight. If you can find a bright star to guide on (through a bit of cloud), it might be better to leave the camera running with short(ish) subs - then chuck out the rubbish ones later.

attachicon.gifMarkarian.jpg

Looks like we'll be pretty well covered for the colour.

post-11568-0-75592400-1396426950_thumb.p

Archived