Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 The Whirlpool Galaxy

Robbo AR

Very nice result.  Surely worth capturing more data to improve the background noise?  Go on, you know you want to!

Absolutely .

I'm dying to try shooting it when the moon's not about , definitely not done with this yet!     :)

Very, nice image and with such short subs. - from a fellow Sussex fellow.

Did you take this two nights ago with the full moon? All my subs where very washed out and my target (m101) is annoyingly dim.

How do you find the 150p on your EQ5? I am thinking of getting a reflector, but not sure about the weight.

Very nice, not processed mine yet but I only got 30 sec exposures so not expecting what you got.

Why the odd exposure time?

The remote timer on the camera , you have to set an exposure time 2 secs longer than you want - I forgot and accidentally added a second. I'd tried for 2 mins but thought I'd seen star trails , knocked it down to (I thought) 1 min 40 , got 1 min 41 but couldn't be bothered to change it :)

Very, nice image and with such short subs. - from a fellow Sussex fellow.

Did you take this two nights ago with the full moon? All my subs where very washed out and my target (m101) is annoyingly dim.

How do you find the 150p on your EQ5? I am thinking of getting a reflector, but not sure about the weight.

The image was taken last Saturday night (15th) and yes it was with the full moon. I've been experimenting with lower iso's , the image was taken with and iso of 400 which seemed to counteract the moon's glare. I also suspect that the M51 being where it was (almost straight above me) when I started taking my subs helped immensely. If I'm honest , I really wasn't expecting much at all - you could have knocked me down with a feather when I saw the stacked image :)

I love my 150P, Although this is the first really nice image I've taken as I've only really been doing this since January , the 150p is versatile enough for me to have a go at pretty much anything. Seems wonderfully stable on the EQ5 too. 

Hi Robbo, lovely image & you're only doing it since January.  I don't have a scope yet, I am interested in AP, but have been reading various comments on the different scopes and had thought about the 150P  EQ-3 PRO GOTO & I have a Canon 450D.  You seem quite happy with the results you have had so far.  Still haven't made a final decision yet, as they say the jury is still out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Robbo, lovely image & you're only doing it since January.  I don't have a scope yet, I am interested in AP, but have been reading various comments on the different scopes and had thought about the 150P  EQ-3 PRO GOTO & I have a Canon 450D.  You seem quite happy with the results you have had so far.  Still haven't made a final decision yet, as they say the jury is still out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to do AP get a 150pds as it has the dual speed focus (essential) and better focus for your DSLR. You won't regret it!

I'd make the mount your priority, get the best mount you can afford because it doesn't matter how good the telescope is if the mount vibrates.

I thought about the EQ3 when I was starting out and in the end I bought an EQ5 with dual drives (it was all I could afford at the time).  I then saved again for a while longer and bought the upgrade separately.

So glad I did it that way as the EQ5 is (in my opinion) quite sturdy enough for the 150P, I'm not too sure if the EQ3 is.

I'm guessing that it was one of those rare nights (for me anyway) when everything just clicked into place. 
Either way, I got the best feeling ever when DSS loaded the stacked image. To see that much detail (even before I'd stretched it) was quite a buzz , and one I hope to create again :)

It was a bit like when this.......

post-34187-0-59125400-1395267021.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As discussed here is my 38 x 30 sec stack from a 150pds post processing in PS. Tried many versions of the manual vs auto RGB stack in DSS and no messing in DSS, this is manual DSS RGB align and then some PS

post-26917-0-49700300-1397174645_thumb.j

post-26917-0-49700300-1397174645_thumb.j

Archived