NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stacking various sub qualities?

Hi guys,

reviewing your captured data the day (or the week) after the long awaited night is always excruciating. All this data, that is so painfully acquired and now not good enough?

Where would you draw the line with egg shaped stars or cloud brightened subs?

Example:

normal sub -

post-17961-0-65965700-1393944960_thumb.j

cloudy sub -

post-17961-0-77718700-1393945027_thumb.j

egg shaped stars subs -

post-17961-0-23933000-1393945186_thumb.j

In my view it all depends on what you class as a final acceptable quality image. If you are after perfect final images you throw everything that isn't up to scratch.

Now if you want a final image to look at then you take the best of what you have and see what you can make of it.

The cloudy image does look rather washed out so that should be an easy one to bin.

Just because an image isn't good enough to sit on the front cover of a magazine to please some editor doesn't make it rubbish for you. In photography terms you either take images for yourself, a judge in a competition or for commercial use. All three have very different requirements of an image.

I binned everything I took on Saturday night after going out and trying a new camera.

After coming in and going through the subs, I was puzzled as to why they were all black. Took a few minutes to realise that I'd not put the camera in bulb mode so although the timer was set to take 60s and 120s subs, I ended up with a few gig of 0.166s subs. Wasn't a lot I could salvage from those!

Archived