Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Session - March 8, 2014

L8-Nite

Let's try it again.  I would like to schedule another short notice Observing Session for Saturday

March 8, 2014, as I'm sure many of us would like to get some observing time in at our dark site.

The moon will be in its first quarter, so reasonably dark skies, and with the possibility of seeing the

Lunar X  at about 20:05 ( 8: pm ).

The site coordinates are.......  +51*  47'  25.57" ,  -3*  4'  10.74"  .......at the Blaenavon radio towers.

I'll post if the meet is going ahead based on the latest weather forecast, so check this thread at about

15:00 ( 3: pm) in the afternoon on the day.

Clear skies to us all. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up Mike, lets hope the weather is favourable.

I went to a wedding on the weekend in Llangennith. The skies on Friday nights were just stunning.

Even with all the venues lights on the skies were as good as some of the very best I've seen in this country.

I will certainly be going back there. 

The weather is not looking too helpful according to metcheck, next week however looks to be filled with clear skies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Karl, one thing to consider is where the moon will be. Visiting a dark sky site when the moon is shining brightly in the sky pretty much ruins your chances observing DSO's. Moon and Planets are okay but you don't necessarily need a dark sky site for them. I think after this weekend it's going to be another fortnight until the moon is well out of the way again. I can't make this weekend but I hope the weather works out for you, I'll hopefully make it to the next one though..

Hi Folks,

The "Astronomy Weather" forecast on Metcheck for Blaenavon is showing an average of about 75% cloud cover throughout the night, and with the Seeing index at a low 1, on a scale of 1 - 10.  Not a good forecast for driving a long distance.

I'm going to make an early call so everyone can make other plans for the afternoon / evening and cancel the meet; all things considered it's a " NO GO ".

Hopefully things will improve in the coming weeks.

Cheers Pete,  have a good weekend !

Hopefully the weather will improve Karl.

Tony, I can think of nothing better to do right now than sitting in the sunshine next to a waterfall in the comfort of a garden centre, with a glass of " ? ", and a good Astromomy book.

Edit:    :smile:  

I think that's a fair call.Thanks mike. This winter is going down as a poor one from an observing front but nothing's lost we'll all live to fight another day though typically as the skies seem to be improving later this week the moon is getting bigger in the sky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Perhaps on calls like this and with the fair weather, we could still meet.

Leave the scopes at home, someone bring the bar-e-que and others the food.

We could all have a good chin wag, peruse some of Mike's books and generally have a good time. :cool:

Perhaps on calls like this and with the fair weather, we could still meet.

Leave the scopes at home, someone bring the bar-e-que and others the food.

We could all have a good chin wag, peruse some of Mike's books and generally have a good time. :cool:

Sounds like a good idea Tony.

I've been watching and comparing the UK "Metcheck" Astronomy Weather forecast throughout the evening for my location, and find it very close to the actual conditions here; so I'm fairly confident the conditions at Blaenavon were accurate tonight, and I made the right call.  Last week was another story as the weather service let us down, still, it was good to catch up with our friend Lenny and discuss mutual interests.  Hope some of you had better luck at home this evening, and were able to get some observing in, and perhaps spot the Lunar X.

Cheers.

Mike, you don't have to justify your decision mate. We respect you judgement call and all know how difficult it is. I think you were spot on. In god we trust (well, the American one anyway).;-)

Spot on Pete - people have to travel a fair few miles to Blaenavon - glad someones taken on the reponsability of the call from Matt - no arguments from me.

Thanks. It was late and I was just putting my thoughts out there as to the reliability of the forecaster. I've followed a few different sites, but Metcheck fortunately covers specific areas, such as Blaenavon, so I would expect within reason the conditions to be pretty much spot on.

Edit: It would be nice to know who is in charge of the forecast, then I could send e-mail of approval, or send bill for our petrol.   :grin:

Archived