NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion 16 inch

I was watching some youtube stuff about the orion 16 inch;  trying to determine just how heavy the various pieces are.  In particular the large round base on which the DOB system sits on.

I hear that it takes two people to lift it and to place it in a car etc..  I am wondering if that is true?   And just how big is the largest piece.

I have a small car (a Honda Accord)  and wondering if ti will fit in that car.  Otherwise if it doesn't I can forget about getting this scope and will stick with my 120mm Esprit Skywatcher.

Any thoughts please.

I was watching some youtube stuff about the orion 16 inch;  trying to determine just how heavy the various pieces are.  In particular the large round base on which the DOB system sits on.

I hear that it takes two people to lift it and to place it in a car etc..  I am wondering if that is true?   And just how big is the largest piece.

I have a small car (a Honda Accord)  and wondering if ti will fit in that car.  Otherwise if it doesn't I can forget about getting this scope and will stick with my 120mm Esprit Skywatcher.

Any thoughts please.

i take it your on about the orion usa not orion optics uk. the 00 uk tubes are aluminumor aluminum so very light, and the dob base has a very small foot print

If it's similar in size to the Skywatcher 16" Flextube dobsonian I reckon it's definitely a 2 person job. Even the 14" Flextube looked a little marginal for 1 person to me  :undecided:

OK guys.  Thanks for the input.  I am pretty sure that if I went with the 16 inch orion that I would need someone to help me put the pieces in the car .   But I do believe that it will fit.

What a life, eh?  Anyway - something to think about.

OK guys.  Thanks for the input.  I am pretty sure that if I went with the 16 inch orion that I would need someone to help me put the pieces in the car .   But I do believe that it will fit.

What a life, eh?  Anyway - something to think about.

The base of the Orion can be easily dissassembled in 4 pieces, making the OTA itself be the only remaining heavy lifting part really.

The ES 12-inch is just less than 30kg if want something truly portable.

One of these will travel around in the car quite easily.

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Telescope-optics/Explore-Scientific-Ultra-Light-Dobsonian-12.html

I can't see any disadvantages at that price (£750)

Looking forward to the first report when someone on the forum can get hold of one to try out.

The ES 12-inch is just less than 30kg if want something truly portable.

One of these will travel around in the car quite easily.

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Telescope-optics/Explore-Scientific-Ultra-Light-Dobsonian-12.html

I can't see any disadvantages at that price (£750)

Looking forward to the first report when someone on the forum can get hold of one to try out.

im sure sombody has bought one, cant remember who though

I'm a tiddler and have managed to get the 16" truss tube in the car before. Cart it around on a sack trolley to set up, break down into 2 pieces (mount, OTA) for journeys.  :)

In fact if it required two people to heft it about, I wouldn't have bought it as I cannot expect the other half to be on hand to supply the muscle at 2am whenever I wanted to pack up.

I don't have the GOTO version though - I imagine that adds a lot of weight.

The price of the Orion one would put me off as it's much more expensive than a 16" lightbridge or sw400p.also much heavier too.my 16" lightbridge was 148lb so the Orion one is nearly 50lb more.fair enough the lightbridge wasn't goto but tbh I wouldn't bother with that on a dob anyway.

Archived