Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 5.5 mm 5000 UW.

Wow ! I'm quite used to hard focussing and dodgy results in sub 7mm eps. I use 1200mm ota's and high power can be underwhelming, depending on seeing.

This one continues to surprise, even at f6, absolute delight to use, fov quite sharp across to the edges and showed superb contrast on Jupiter.

Bargain sh at £60 , about my maximum for eps,

Nick.

Wow, sounds like promising results. Did you get it second hand to manage that price?

Edit: duh, just realized your 'sh' means second hand! Enjoy! I could be tempted to get a UW eyepiece after hearing Al Nagler talk last month.

The 14mm might be worth waiting for at £45 + £5 post.

Delivery by August-2104.

http://www.astroshop.eu/meade-14mm-ultra-wide-fishes-eyepiece-1-f-/p,10259

I would be putting it in a Revelation 2.5x barlow to replace a 6mm eyepiece.

The spending never ends.

I've used that combination and the result is good, I think you get a bit less than 2.5x because of how deep the lower lenses sit in the meade eyepiece, but in terms of quality I couldn't see any difference between that and an unbarlowed meade 8.8uwa.

James.

The 14mm is a steal at that price. I had the first version of this eyepiece which was made by JOC. When the 5.5mm 8.8mm and 14mm ( there was also a 20mm but I only ever saw it in USA sites) came on the market which was about 2-3 years ago this was a re-disign but the optics were still top draw judging by the 5.5mm, I am not sure who made them.

BTW the Mk1 14mm was about 179 pounds if I recall correctly.

Alan

The 14mm might be worth waiting for at £45 + £5 post.

Delivery by August-2104.

http://www.astroshop.eu/meade-14mm-ultra-wide-fishes-eyepiece-1-f-/p,10259

I would be putting it in a Revelation 2.5x barlow to replace a 6mm eyepiece.

The spending never ends.

I make that £40 plus postage ?   This one with the ES 14  has  very mixed  reactions - perhaps more telescope depending. That price though makes the Maxvisions positively expensive !

andrew

I reckon these Meades are a very under rated eyepiece.

I use the 5.5mm to get nice 278x in my 4" F15 and they give sterling views. I have a pair and regularly use them on lunar through binoviewers on my 180 Mak to good effect.

I've used that combination and the result is good, I think you get a bit less than 2.5x because of how deep the lower lenses sit in the meade eyepiece, but in terms of quality I couldn't see any difference between that and an unbarlowed meade 8.8uwa.

James.

I think the Revelation is exactly the same as the 2x Orion shorty plus / and the 2x Celestron Ultima.

Both of these eyepieces are thought to be an actual 2.2x magnification.

The 2.5x Revelation gives me the same results.

So Barlowing the 16mm MV / 14mm Meade / 11mm ES 82o should give me - 165x / 190x / 240x

A true 2x Barlow will give me 220x out of the 11mm to fill the gap.

Much cheaper than a 6mm Delos.

I had the 14mm UWA for several years and loved it. It held its own next to the likes of he 22T4 and 17T4 Naglers in most aspects except eye relief. I have replaced it by a 12T4 only because of the latter issue (which is only a problem for people like me who need to wear glasses when observing). At the prices quoted, they are an absolute steal.

If I could get my hands on one from here at that price I would buy one even though I do not need it, it would do well in one of my piggyback scopes or finders.

I only sold my 14mm UWA early last year because I knew someone that wanted one and for what I got for it I could now buy two and have change.

Alan

Archived