NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Serious help needed

hobsey

Is there anyone local to me able to spare half an hour or so at the weekend to help me align the polar scope reticle on my CG-5 GT?

I'm starting to loose the will to live now and even starting to think that the mount is buckled.  :BangHead:

Many thanks from a broken stargazer.

I am too busy with work Anthony, sorry. There is a good mount set up guide on Astronomyshed.co.uk  It is for an heq5 iirc, but the basics are the same for all mounts. Use the vid along with your instructions and you should be fine. It is worth taking your time, as it only needs to be done once. What makes you think it is out of whack?

No worries Alan.

I've had the polar scope for 5 months now and I keep trying, then give up then go back to it 2 weeks later and then give up again.

No matter how much I try, I can get it anywhere close to where it needs to be. Mount probably isn't buckled but I need to find some excuse why I can't do it.

When I had my eq6 for AP, I spent quite a while setting the reticule following the Astronmyshed vid. But, with the software all star align feature, I would imagine that this will get your mount pretty much spot on anyhow, so long as polaris starts somewhere in the polarscope when you begin. Drag it out and have a go mate. I found that was the only way to sort these things. These part cloudy nights are ideal too.

Good luck mate.

Hi there,

I used the astronomy shed video to align mine on an heq5. I am assuming it is the same adjustment method using tiny hex head grub screws. It took me a loooong time to get it right. There was a lot of adjusting it a bit and then finding that I had made it a bit worse rather than a bit better! However, I did get there eventually. For me, it was a case of small moves and a fair bit of patience. It took pretty much a whole afternoon but I'm very glad I did it.

Best of luck!

Cheers

Lee

Archived