NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Feel like I am making progress..

DannyHarvey

you are right! too heavy with the sliders! This is a milestone pic for me, I figured out why I was getting onion rings (gain not high enough), got the Y800 codec working and worked out why my laptop was dropping frames very badly (drive nearly full!)

The whole number of frames was about 1300 and I think I have been using about 900 in the stack. My time limit is about 1 minute or so (usually creeps over about 10 sec) - I have had a problem with the damn thing dropping frames (hence only 1300 - should be more like 1600 for 1 min @ 27 FPS), which has improved since I made space on my hard disk and defragged it.

The camera is set at 27 frames a sec (this is max frame rate using the next resolution up from the 640 x 480 setting), the NI5 will go higher but I would have to reduce the frame size and because I'm on an overloaded CG5 mount I cant keep the Jupiter disk in the frame at 640 x 480 (the CG5 is too wobbly!)

Dan

a bit of honesty here:

15th Feb the seeing was fantastic, but with a bit of mist reducing visibility. I could see Jupiter was a steady as a rock on the screen and could see loads of detail  so I thought I was going to get some good results (the GRS was up too!) - I took several files of RGB36 and just because I read somewhere that Y800 was better i tried 1 AVI using the settings.

After processing in the eventing all my RGB stuff, although I could see detail coming through all the files were producing onion rings around the edge limiting how much I could sharpen.

The only file that didn't do this was the Y800 - which produced a reasonable result (but not the best possible for the night I'm sure).

After reading on the internet that the "onion rings" was caused by lack of gain in the camera settings - I thought I would double check this on the next session.

16th Feb arrived seeing was good again, but now there was the odd flex and blurring over of Jupiter...

Had the histogram just a tad off saturation, took loads of RGB again and (stupidly) only one Y800 file.

The RGB results again gave "onion rings"  and the solitary Y800 file is the result you see here!

Lucky I had taken the Y800 file and lucky it gave this result eh? I am now a Y800 convert...

.....after commenting on your focusing practise in Alan's thread and his response I thought I'd take a look at your image Danny - the second process is much better and from my quick read of your comments in this thread you are on the right track: constant self-criticism and re-appraising of everything you do is the key to successful development and image outcomes..! :)

Your rework and comments about the difficulty in finding a successful sharpen/noise reduction technique makes me ask whether you are commenting about Registax wavelets..?

First off, stack in AS!2 for optimum outcomes without any pre-processing elsewhere...

Choosing a good MAPs size & placing a good coverage over Jove's disk without getting the centre-points of the MAPs boxes (ie, the dot in the middle where you click" each time you place a box) too near the edge.....depends upon the size you capture at but maybe a size around "100" (a broad generalisation and depends upon your effective f/l)

Maybe about 20-30 MAPs boxes starting at the centre and making a broad coverage but not using a "grid" type layout imho...

After AS!2 "Analysis" and selecting a % to stack (I opt for a minimum of about 55%+ quality to stack and like to be over 60% if possible...

In Registax enable the "View Zoomed" window and advance the #1 slider to "100" with "Linked Wavelets" checked.....the image will become quite grainy and you then increase the denoise  value of #1 slider  (first box on LHS for each slider) until all the grain in the zoomed image disappears and the appearance becomes quite smooth and there isn't any grain or uneven blotchy appearance to the zoom portions you can see in the VZ window...

Do the same with #2 slider (even more graininess will appear at first) and then advance the denoise value for that slider until it appears the same as when you've did the #1 slider...

That's it in Registax.....you can then take it into something like AstraImage to deconvolution but you need to be very wary of noise for any further sharpening applications - same goes for USM in P/shop etc...

Hope this helps but as I said the key is to experiment and objectively appraise your efforts and you seem to be well-understanding of that.....a very nice effort btw! :)

I am a keen photographer and thought I new a lot - this astro photography stuff has turned everything up-side down! there is so much to learn...

I sometimes think it was an advantage starting A.P. with very little terrestial photography under my belt....no pre-concieved ideas :D.

Nice shot of Saturn though ;). haha

In Registax enable the "View Zoomed" window and advance the #1 slider to "100" with "Linked Wavelets" checked.....the image will become quite grainy and you then increase the denoise  value of #1 slider  (first box on LHS for each slider) until all the grain in the zoomed image disappears and the appearance becomes quite smooth and there isn't any grain or uneven blotchy appearance to the zoom portions you can see in the VZ window...

Do the same with #2 slider (even more graininess will appear at first) and then advance the denoise value for that slider until it appears the same as when you've did the #1 slider...

Great post Daryl - some very useful information here, which is immediately improving some of my earlier captures.   I hadn't tried the linked wavelets feature before, as the noise looked uncontrollable, though this really helps.

Archived