Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cleaning mirror with Baader fluid...

emadmoussa

I hear a lot about simply taking the mirror out and wash it in distilled water. Not quite in the state of mind for this.. ;)

I've got some smudges that I want to get rid of on the primary. I removed the big ones by using a micro fiber cloth and Baader fluid, but I wonder if solution is as good?

Emad,

I've washed mirrors before with a tiny bit of washing up liquid, cold tapwater and Mk 1 cleaning cloth, the fingertips (only if absolutely necessary). Rinse down with some distilled water and leave to dry (Distilled water is used to wash off residue). Mirrors need to be treated like newborn babies!! :D

I need to clean the secondary on the 300p as there a wee bit of mildew on it.....  :(

Emad,

I've washed mirrors before with a tiny bit of washing up liquid, cold tapwater and Mk 1 cleaning cloth, the fingertips (only if absolutely necessary). Rinse down with some distilled water and leave to dry (Distilled water is used to wash off residue). Mirrors need to be treated like newborn babies!! :D

I need to clean the secondary on the 300p as there a wee bit of mildew on it.....  :(

this is what I do. you need to be careful but well applied coatings re reasonably hard and as long as you don't apply anything that dissolves them or scrape anything across that scrapes them you'll be fine.

this is why I use the above method. you can try other methods that are less tried and tested but at your peril.

As above takes minutes , dry with cold hair dryer and bobs your..........clean maybe 10 or so mirrors a year plus seconds and its really easy, (make sure you take wedding ring off! and also soak hands in the washing up liquid water for a couple of minutes to soften and remove residual crease from skin. and if you have to touch the mirror surface, think as gentle as possible.

I've also cleaned the 10" primary in my scope by the soapy water route. Few drops of liquid soap in warm water, plenty of cotton wool balls ( use for one wipe then throw away), then rinse in distiller water to avoid evaporation marks. Leave upright on a towel covered draining board to dry. As above, remove rings, cut and file nails and wash hands until raw to remove dirt. Think before doing anything and treat mirror as a sensitive fragile thing while carrying it, with a row of cushions between the sink and the scope! It's actually very easy and as long as you take a bit of care it's very straightforward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've also cleaned the 10" primary in my scope by the soapy water route. Few drops of liquid soap in warm water, plenty of cotton wool balls ( use for one wipe then throw away), then rinse in distiller water to avoid evaporation marks. Leave upright on a towel covered draining board to dry. As above, remove rings, cut and file nails and wash hands until raw to remove dirt. Think before doing anything and treat mirror as a sensitive fragile thing while carrying it, with a row of cushions between the sink and the scope! It's actually very easy and as long as you take a bit of care it's very straightforward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you happen to be flocking the scope at the same time, put the dried mirror in a covered box to keep off the dust and put it somewhere safe where you know the other half won't think it's an item to put in the dishwasher, or the two year old decides to put chocolate fingerprints all over it....

Archived