Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C11 finder scope

I'm having trouble getting the finder scope lined up with the main scope; i have to have the screws done up really tightly to push the cross hairs over the object which is in the centre of the FoV in the main scope.

I've tried the odd quick release finder bracket one way and the other, but that doesn't help.

What orientation does everyone else have with: the quick release bracket; the finder scope cradle; the rubber ring etc... Mine just doesn't seem right.

Any pictures online seem to vary and the combinations don't work for me.

Thanks.

James

Hard to describe but the bracket is leaning backwards so that the adjustment screws are at the back and the rubber o ring to the front.....does that make any sense (a picture is worth a thousand words).......

Have you tried releasing the mounting screws, moving the finder shoe a bit and then retightening? I would also unwind the adjustment screws fully and see if the finder can actually point in the right direction at all.

Did you try adjusting the spring loaded screw? It can be loosened/tightened with an allen key. Otherwise a tweak to the cradle foot position may be needed - it has oval screw holes for this purpose - so slightly loosen and a small nudge left or right might do the job.

Otherwise - let me know.  I have a spare cradle and foot you could try out. :)

It is this one:

http://www.celestron.com/portal/celestron-finderscope-kit-quick-release.html

The base plate screws to the OTA, then the finder scope in the rings slots into that.

I will see if i can adjust the tension on the spring-loaded pin, that may in fact solve the issue; it's just i have to have both the hand adjusted screws screwed down so tight to even get the object near where the cross hairs cross; i'm worried the screws are going to pierce into the finder scope, and still it's not centred. Odd.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Jd

You probably need both for DSOs...

I'm not so sure, what ever the scope is centred on it in the centre of the Telrad, i also place the Telrad so it helps with the balance, when i get to build a Dob house on the back of my Obby the C11 will just image what i am looking at so GoTo a bright star close to the DSO sync then slew take some images, the Telrad will mostly be redundant...

This is a oldish picture but the Dobby house will attach to the rear wall, just not sure what size maybe 12" or the bigger 16", its been gravelled all round to keep rodents from getting under the floor...:)

DSC_9865.jpg

It is this one:

http://www.celestron.com/portal/celestron-finderscope-kit-quick-release.html

The base plate screws to the OTA, then the finder scope in the rings slots into that.

I will see if i can adjust the tension on the spring-loaded pin, that may in fact solve the issue; it's just i have to have both the hand adjusted screws screwed down so tight to even get the object near where the cross hairs cross; i'm worried the screws are going to pierce into the finder scope, and still it's not centred. Odd.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Jd

Ah right that one. Not quite the bracket i had in mind but it works the same. Loosen of the securing screws that hold it to the scope, the holes are elongated to allow some extra adjustment. That may make the difference.

I'm not so sure, what ever the scope is centred on it in the centre of the Telrad, i also place the Telrad so it helps with the balance, when i get to build a Dob house on the back of my Obby the C11 will just image what i am looking at so GoTo a bright star close to the DSO sync then slew take some images, the Telrad will mostly be redundant...

This is a oldish picture but the Dobby house will attach to the rear wall, just not sure what size maybe 12" or the bigger 16", its been gravelled all round to keep rodents from getting under the floor... :)

DSC_9865.jpg

I comfortably use an RDF only on my 102ED, but with the 12" reflector, I find the addition of an optical finder important to get small objects in the field of view. Take small globular clusters as an example.  

I'm having trouble getting the finder scope lined up with the main scope; i have to have the screws done up really tightly to push the cross hairs over the object which is in the centre of the FoV in the main scope.

I've tried the odd quick release finder bracket one way and the other, but that doesn't help.

What orientation does everyone else have with: the quick release bracket; the finder scope cradle; the rubber ring etc... Mine just doesn't seem right.

Any pictures online seem to vary and the combinations don't work for me.

Thanks.

James

Its not easy is it  :grin: . It wasn't helped by the fact that the manual that came with my C11 had a different finder shown

I have one of these on my C11 and it took me a while to get it sorted. Initially everytime I breathed on it would go out of alignment which is a shame since I actually liked the finder.

(I now have the great Altair 10x60 finder on my 80mm APO)

Anyway, answering your question, take a look here on the CGE pro manual - pg 12 for the C11 & C14   http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1250207279_cgepro11086inst.pdf

Once you get the rubber ring sorted it should be steady as a rock - it really does work if you fit it the right way

Kim, adjusting the hex screw inside the spring loaded bolt has allowed me to move the finder scope more than previously, which I suspect will have solved the issue. If you weren't so hairy, I'd give you a kiss :)

Thanks to everyone for helping out. I'll report back once I've field tested it.

JD

Archived