NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Stargazers Filter Set, worth the money?

what do you think about filter sets? I seen these online for £66. I have no filters and am useing a 10"dob.

Orion Stargazers Filter Set 1.25"

This set includes four 1.25" optical glass filters and a durable plastic storage case that holds them all! You get a Moon filter to cut lunar glare, #25 red and #80A medium blue and a SkyGlow light pollution filter

Thanks

Hi Darren, the Orion set is a good quality one, and the colours are the most common you would use.  But to be honest, I don't use colour filters much except for solar work (with the appropriate full aperture Badder ND5 solar filter at the front of the scope). An ND96 Moon filter would be useful, but these can be bought separately, I prefer to use a Moon filter, many don't.  It's a personal choice.  Before buying the colour filters I would check there are no gaps in your eyepiece collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I never did buy the Orion filter set, I'm just going to buy one at a time. I want a good quality moon filter to start with to fit my 10"dob. Any recommendations?

Save your cash and buy an EP. Moon filters really are not needed. The only time you would really use it is when there is a full Moon and then there is no contrast in detail to observe. The light might be BRIGHT, but it wont blind you/damage your eyes.

Just being honest. 

Save your cash and buy an EP. Moon filters really are not needed. The only time you would really use it is when there is a full Moon and then there is no contrast in detail to observe. The light might be BRIGHT, but it wont blind you/damage your eyes.

Just being honest. 

Thats my experience too. I don't find I need to filter the moon even with my 12" dob.

Hi Darren, just to be different, I prefer the Moon filtered, I would recommend the ND96-0.9 giving 13% light transmission, or the ND96-0.6 giving 25% light transmission, I have the Baader and Lumicon versions respectively.  It's all down to personal taste.

The variable polarising filter from FLO is great. You can set it from 40% transmission right down to around 1%. I have a 12" dob and it is painful to look at bright regions of the Moon for any length of time without the filter. The filter also improves contrast when taking photos. Personally, I've found coloured filters mess with the view too much.

It definitely hurts looking at anything past 25% moon in my 9.25 SCT.  I always use a moon filter.  It balances the contrast for better viewing in my opinion.  I have both ND96 filters mentioned above and have piggybacked them on very clear nights.  The only other filter I have used to any advantage is a blue filter which enhances Jupiter and Saturn's cloud bands.  Personal preference.

I have the variable polarising filter and i like it very much when the moon is too bright. It's very handy for viewing. On a second note I heard the Baader Neodymium filter is good for viewing planets and the moon. I'm considering buying that one myself to bring out detail in Jupiter and Mars, etc. Anyone use this filter and would comment in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived