NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dobs and Wind

What experiences / stories do you have, if you have ventured out with your dobsonian when there are gusts of wind about?

I had a heart stopping encounter last weekend whilst out on a club session. Conditions at the car park were quite gusty, so trying to set up somewhere relatively sheltered was necessary. Then it threatened rain and so I threw  the scope cover over. I was stood a short distance away, when the scope suddenly and alarmingly rocked, lifting one side of the mount. I think that the gust of wind impacted onto the scope cover like a sail, which might have resulted in the whole structure toppling over. I hastily swung the tube around and stayed next to the scope until the weather passed.

I have experienced a similar circumstance when I had a 12" flextube, however the base being wider and a bit heavier was perhaps more stable than the narrow profile of the OOUK base so had caused no problems. The OOUK base is well engineered, has smooth motions and most importantly for myself, its slim profile enables it to be transported in the car. However from now on, this is something that I will be very vigilant towards, as no doubt to make the most of any opportunity to venture out  with a scope in the UK, occasionally going out in gusty conditions is almost unavoidable.

I just find it really frustrating observing when its windy, your trying to concentrate on something so small and detailed that as soon as the scope begins to judder I pack up so I guess 15mph is my top limit.

Prevailing winds are SW here so my house gives me some cover if I want to observe from home, I've been out in about 35mph in those situations.

Good point about not using a shroud when its windy Rich, I never thought of that doh! :)

good lord...

gust of wind knocking over your scope...where were you?

(East London comes to mind...eh...East London SA, not GB)

I heard wind can make your scope rotate, but not knock over..

will keep an eye on this

A 12" dob was blown over by the wind at an SGL star party I recall. Fortunately it did not suffer damage. 

Archived