Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Farthings

alan potts

I was shocked to hear that Sir Patricks home the Farthings was owned by Brian May, it is not the sort of news that gets on TV here in Bulgaria. Does anyone know what is happening to the house and grounds, I know many passed comment about what could be done after the sad day but has anything been done that can be reported.

Oddly, Brian May started out with another member of the Potts family as my Cousin John Anthony helped him and the other three on their way, he was the producer of their first album, in my view their best. I think he was so tallented even i could have launched his career, no disrespect to John as he was a top Rock man in those days, I have met a few of Johns famous friends but sadly never Brian.

Alan

Sir Patrick was not wealthy , Brian May purchased Farthing from SPM only charging a peppercorn rent .

This allowed SPM security in his later life.

If you read some of the threads following Sir Patricks death the details are there

I think its fair to say Sir Patrick was a little too generous with his money, and got into a little trouble, Brian  May was a very good friend to the great man, and bought the cottage for a hefty price, then rented it to sir P for one coffee bean per month, i think its fair to say Brian will be doing the right thing with Farthings

Brian May bought Farthings off of Patrick Moore quite a few years ago and rented it back to him at a "peppercorn" rent (nothing in reality).

The idea was that it would become some sort of astro museum but recently read that that had been dropped. Think it was in The Mail and the headline seemed a bit unfairly insulting to Brian May.

Although it could have seemed a good idea at the time I doubt that it was financially a sensible option and I suspect that this point was made obvious. It is afterall just a house and there is a low precentage of astronomers, and then those astronomers have to be in the area - Cumbrian people are not going to travel down for a day out. Even people local would likely visit once or twice and that would be it. No club could maintain the place even if they met there.

There was no mention of alternatives, or anything immediate, well nothing I saw.

Update:

This was the Mail article: DMail

Didn't seem very fair to me in the wording used.

It does mention a section at the Science Museum dedicated to SPM.

This was BrianM's response.

According to other things The RAS were offered items but turned them down.

Sir Patrick was not wealthy , Brian May purchased Farthing from SPM only charging a peppercorn rent .

This allowed SPM security in his later life.

If you read some of the threads following Sir Patricks death the details are there

I will go and have a read at some point -  very interesting & hats off to Brian May

Brian helped Sir Patrick out a great deal I believe and buying and maintaining his house while allowing Patrick to live there was one of the ways he did this.

They were close friends but Brian was very modest about his support for Patrick and did not want any publicity for it preferring to remain a behind the scenes benefactor.

I think we should respect that  :smiley:

Edit: sorry that this has duplicated other posts - I was not typing quickly enough !

I saw a news report on TV saying that plans to make it an astro museum eventually turned out to be "impractical" and had been shelved. The future for Farthings is now indefinite they said. That was about 3 months ago and I've heard nothing more since then. :)

That is a very interesting eyepiece that you use with your SW Explorer 130, does it get better the more you use it.

I was never a fan of the Daily Mail apart from the little crossword that used to be on the back about 25 years ago, it was a nice size for the tea-break.

Alan

Archived