NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL and SCT one year on

kerrylewis

It's one year to the day since I got my SCT and joined this forum. And what a remarkable year it's been!

I've posted before my thoughts about this forum and it is a wonderful place. So friendly and helpful. And my scope has been a revelation. I retired at the beginning of last year and decided to invest in a bigger scope and have loved very minute. I've made some catastrophic mistakes with some equipment which I've shared here and don't want to repeat, but otherwise - wow! The Delphinius nova and now a supernova, comets Panstarrs and Lovejoy, wonderful views of Jupiter and Saturn and all the planets in one memorable day. I also started to log Messiers and I'm now up to 96 and I've also recorded almost 80 observing sessions in the year.

I have lots of plans for the next year - more sketching, a good look at Mars etc maybe even a Dob, and my first star party at SGL9 ! but if it's anything like the last year I will be well pleased . A great thank you is also due to this forum and it's sponsor FLO - both have contributed vastly to my enjoyment. I'm loving my retirement but above all I'm loving my astronomy

Agreed Knobby.

I had my refractor before but the opportunities to use it seemed to be always limited when I had to get up the next day to commute to the Big Smoke. Now I have the wonderful freedom of being able to get up and stay up when I like - always trying hard not to disturb Mrs L of course - and it's been liberating. I am really loving it

Congratulations on your anniversary.

I've only recently got my scope, but I found that whenever I had a problem - or needed advice from aunty Google , I was brought here. This happened so many times that I joined the site  :)
I friendlier , more helpful forum than any of the others I've seen.

So it looks like you are stuck with me now.

I didn't realise we started here around the same time Kerry, it has been a very fast year indeed :laugh:

one year and 4400 posts, haha thats some serious going :-)

kerry good to read a success story, almost 80 sessions in a year, cant help but feel very jealous, lucky if I made a half of that. Well done

Archived