Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transporting my dob...

philipw

Have a nice cottage in Beddgelert booked for a week in Feb, should be lovely dark skies (compared to Lewisham).

Getting there from London is going to be a long drive; wondering if there are any tricks re transporting my 200p skyliner?

Ta.

most peeps place the ota on the rear seats , seat belt it in . base in boot. however if your taking a bit of luggage and are tight on room you could dismantle the base and put it back up once your at your location. 

oops too late . :grin:

Not sure how the solid tube is packed when delivered. If it is packed like the flextube with the white foam support bits and you kept them, you can rest the tube lying down length ways resting on the foam supports. Very solid and stable that way and great shock absorbers against vibrations.

Will it need collimating in welsh wales?

Mine survived a trip to N Cornwall jammed in the back of my van with a load of camping gear. If it needed collimation it was only a quick tweak to the primary.

Mine survived a trip to N Cornwall jammed in the back of my van with a load of camping gear. If it needed collimation it was only a quick tweak to the primary.

Ah, I've never done a quick (or any other kind) tweak of the primary. Wouldn't know where to start.

Ah, I've never done a quick (or any other kind) tweak of the primary. Wouldn't know where to start.

just read up a bit before you go a traveling , its not a difficult task , and with a f/6 , its not AS critical as faster scopes.

theres loads of info and tutorials on collimation.

There's a couple of good guides produced by members here. If you search for Astro Baby or Moonshane and collimation you'll soon find them. It can be a bit mind-boggling at first but take your time and don't adjust anything unless it needs it :smiley:

Here's the Astro Baby guide

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

And Shane's:

Collimation of Newtonian Telescopes-1.pdf

Definitely put something in between the seat belts and the scope as mines got slight indentations where I've braked too hard! :-/ The polystyrene casing if you still have it. As regards collamation just get a tel rad to save you time. Wouldn't be without mine.

Definitely put something in between the seat belts and the scope as mines got slight indentations where I've braked too hard! :-/ The polystyrene casing if you still have it. As regards collamation just get a tel rad to save you time. Wouldn't be without mine.

your getting a bit mixed up matt. collimating the primary mirror  is what they are talking about. I think your referring to aligning the finder to the main ota .

(telrads are good bits of kit though granted )

Archived