NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What an absolute melon! Synscan users might be interested

Mountain out if a molehill springs to mind .

The gist of the Opening post is pointing out he got his lat and long mixed up , and let others know. Helpful and amusing at the same time.

There's been many posts like it and will be many more to come I'm sure.

Clear skies all.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RTFM. Ha but it were that simple when you have a SW manual they tend to leave gaps assuming you already know that !

Example, lots of help on how to align the scope and use the RA setting dial, but not a mention of how to use the date scale on the Polar Scope. Not that I've seen any how.

Another dumb question as I can never remember. Are we in daylight saving now. That is add an hour on the time setting section :huh:

Nope, not in daylight savings time, at least I hope not!

Thanks Rory, you summed it up nicely there. My original post was to point out how I made a stupid mistake and couldn't work out why it was thinking that M44 was below the horizon! Someone buying a SynScan will hopefully read that, and bear it in mind before they go out for the first time and not make my mistake (therefore negating the need to find a solution). The manual doesn't tell you that Skywatcher is the only company in the world to enter coordinates the wrong way round.

Maybe we should be used to doing things backwards because we see it in the eye piece all the time?

Buzz has been killed from the anecdote.

Ok.. Manuals. Now we are talking about SW products here & from my experience so far they seem to ship the same one regardless of which product you buy.

The one that came with my last SW purchase, the Esprit, is the same as the one I got with my mounts, 80ED & ST80. Yet it mentions nothing specific to the Esprit what so ever.. Total waste of a tree!

It took a week on SGL to find out the capstan wheel wasn't decorative & would rotate the focuser if enough brute force was applied.. Don't talk to me about reading SW manuals grrrrrr ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sorry if I came across as a bit of a harsh grump ...  :rolleyes:

I'm merely saying that the Synscan manual tells one quite clearly which way to enter the location co-ordinates , as well as the format for entering the date , the other thing that fails to register on numerous occasions ...  :smiley:

post-21219-0-51199300-1390675948_thumb.p

some peoples grammar may not be the best mine included but pulling some one up for that is not nice and may offend people

As long as the intended meaning can be understood grammar doesn't need to be a big deal. We're not applying for jobs or addressing the Queen, no real call to drop into formal English.

I'm waiting on a Synscan set up, the OP did me a favour highlighting something I probably would have done. And if or when I'd got round to reading the manual...that was translated from Chinese into Italian then Esperanto I'd likely have come on here with a post like "Help, my Synscan doesn't work and the manual makes no sense".

Ok.. Manuals. Now we are talking about SW products here & from my experience so far they seem to ship the same one regardless of which product you buy.

The one that came with my last SW purchase, the Esprit, is the same as the one I got with my mounts, 80ED & ST80. Yet it mentions nothing specific to the Esprit what so ever.. Total waste of a tree!

It took a week on SGL to find out the capstan wheel wasn't decorative & would rotate the focuser if enough brute force was applied.. Don't talk to me about reading SW manuals grrrrrr ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might help you ... http://ca.skywatcher.com/upfiles/en_download_caty01390352180.pdf

Courtesy of Uncle Google ...  :smiley:

I've got a Manual Telescope and it has also got Sky Watcher on the side of it. It didn't come with a Sky Watcher telescope manual.

Happily this is not a problem. Thsnkyou Mr Dobson.

Paul

PS Does any one know how to add the smiley things in the posts?

When you start your reply there is a bar across the top of the bow , click on the "smiley" on the top row and a selection will appear underneath the reply box , you may need to scroll down a little to reveal them.

Click the "show all" tag to reveal the entire selection.

When you start your reply there is a bar across the top of the bow , click on the "smiley" on the top row and a selection will appear underneath the reply box , you may need to scroll down a little to reveal them.

Click the "show all" tag to reveal the entire selection.

Thank you Steve

Strangely enough, iPads don't seem to display things in quite the same way. I'm sure that I have seen the options when using a normal laptop, but alas, no "Smiley" icons to be seen when using Apple's finest. I shall investigate more fully and shall probably refrain from starting an "Help!!! Apples Can't Smile" thread (would add a smiley here if I could).

I'm greatly enjoying the thread. Good points being made, some different points of view, some misguided attempts at humour (sorry) and everyone taking things in the spirit in which they are meant.

Back to the thread.

Paul

Just to give an update of the use, now that I know how to set it up properly, I took it out tonight and the batteries went flat after about 10mins after I aligned It.

So that's £5 worth of batteries gone! I think I need a powertank...

Stuck to the manual dob but couldn't locate anything other than Jupiter through the finder scope, and took me ages to find M81 & M82, saw the supernova eventually though. I need to get a red dot on there.

Just to give an update of the use, now that I know how to set it up properly, I took it out tonight and the batteries went flat after about 10mins after I aligned It.

So that's £5 worth of batteries gone! I think I need a powertank...

Stuck to the manual dob but couldn't locate anything other than Jupiter through the finder scope, and took me ages to find M81 & M82, saw the supernova eventually though. I need to get a red dot on there.

Supernova from another galaxy , amazing when you think about it.

This might help you ... http://ca.skywatcher.com/upfiles/en_download_caty01390352180.pdf

Courtesy of Uncle Google ...  :smiley:

Cheers Steve,  didn't find that under support - manuals on the SW site when I last looked!

Pity SW don't feel it's necessary to do QC on their products or they'd have noticed.. ;)

Oh no.. there I go again... I've mentioned SW and the QC word in the same sentence..

Took me all of 0.38 seconds ...  :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifEsprit manual.PNG

That's a lot of SW kit in your signature considering how anti-SW you come across as ...  :grin:

No, I'm not anti SW.. they have made astronomy affordable & produce some good kit.

In my experience (& as you say I have a fair bit of their kit.. not all in my sig either!) ...

They let themselves down by being anti QC !!

Archived