Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starfest, newbie friendly??

Joseki

Hi, I'm very tempted to attend Starfest 2014 since it's near where we live, in the summer holidays, we have a decent tent and have been talking about going somewhere that we stand a chance of avoiding light pollution.

However, I don't know what the 'vibe' is and I note the statement (in bold) "Please note this is not a general public stargazing event ... This is a gathering of serious amateur astronomers and astronomical societies, but our regular attendees are a friendly bunch and are happy to chat and help those attending for the first time.". 

Now I've never been to one of these either (public event) but I wouldn't be going around hassling anyone to find out what 'that big bright star is (Jupiter) etc'  but I wouldn't call myself a serious amateur either.  Nor would I let the children run around with white light torches kicking over telescopes :grin:.   (we'd be taking our children along (3 & 6)). - but does anyone have an opinion on how 'young family' friendly it is?  - the camping conditions sounds fine for us and I see the prices include child rates...

cheers

The "rules" are probably in place to prevent a whole bunch of public appearing and expecting every one there to let them at their scopes and explain everything possible.

As to children, best they don't run round in the dark playing Tag when some of the people there will have equipment worth £10,000 or more. Simply a little common sense is expected. Generally they are welcome however.

Buy them a small red torch each, better 2 as they will lose one.

One little question:

The main "Starfest 2014" I get from a search is run by North York Astro Assn, it is on August 21-24. The catch is that it is North East of Toronto in Canada.

Got it, Aug 22-24, run by Scarborough and Ryedale AS.

Great, thanks for the encouragement.  I've printed off the form.  They are lovely children and I would be comfortable taking them there and being responsible for making sure they don't cause problems.  I can't see them wanting to run around in the dark, especially if we organize an activity for them during the day.  We all got into the cbeebies program on tv lately so I expect they'd get a lot out of it too.

ronin: sorry yes it's the Dalby one! (only 30 minutes drive home if we get too cold or wet).

http://www.scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk/saras/starfest/starfest-2014/

By the sound of what you are saying, you understand the commonsense rules, and would have a great time.

Almost all the amateur astronomers I've come across have been more than friendly.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "serious amateur astronomers" bit, most are much more cheerful than that  :smiley:

I'd book up and go if you can. The rules are needed because if you are not into astronomy, you'll do things like drive in after dark with headlights on etc.

Regards, Ed.

Hi John,

I'm a regular attender at Dalby and think it's about as " Family friendly " as it can get. Youngsters are made more than welcome and due to the fact you're even asking about them I'd say you say you have the correct attitude. Very few children are out and about in the early hours and the only problem from your side is if they are woken up at 3.00 if someone makes a noise near the tent :)

I think the " Serious Amateur Astronomer " bit is to let people know the event isn't a public gathering where astronomers turn up for the benefit of others.

The ground is on a slight slope and usually copes with rain quite well. It doesn't have piping hot showers and a carpeted lounge area ( ! ) but does have a visitor centre reasonably close by that makes great breakfasts and coffee etc.

Turn up and bring what you've got. It's a great weekend.

Dave.

Hi John. 

I can confirm that you are welcome to attend with your family.  The bit on the page / booking form about the serious amateur astronomers is to put off the general public that normally enquire about attending just to spend the weekend in the forest under the stars and for these individuals we direct them to our public stargazing events that we run between October and March.

The Starfest event is a chance for those with a passion for the night sky to get together for a few nights under one of the darkest skies in the country.  

As for being family friendly, we have the reputation of being very family friendly.  I have a young family of 4 myself with my youngest who was only just over 2 years old at last years event and the eldest 13.  A number of families are present on the weekend and they usually end up playing on the park and field close by through the day together.  We also have the annual rocket competition for everyone to get involved in.

Hope this answers some of your questions and look forward to meeting you in August.

Archived