NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm in love ...

cstew

With my newly purchased 6D. Only got it today, but I'm already mightily impressed. I had to sell almost everything I own to buy it, shame you can't sell souls on ebay, maybe I could have got a 5D mk3! The high ISO performance is stunning, no other way to put it. ISO 6400 is equivalent or better than ISO 800 on my 1100D. The camera feels solid and well built, the control layout will take some getting used to, I've been using a 1D mk3 and an 1100D for some time, so this has a layout which is a mixture of the two, some things are just where I expect them to be, others in a slightly different place or operate slightly differently.

I've paired it with a Meike battery grip, this is also a solid, well built piece of kit, and considering it is around 1/3 the price of the genuine canon part, an absolute bargain and highly recommended. I picked up 4 third party batteries as well, for around half the price of 1 canon battery.

Some notes:

A strange thing, if I set the camera to monochrome mode, the pictures on the camera screen are b&w, the thumbnails on the PC screen are b&w, but when I preview them in picture viewer, or load them into lightroom, they are colour!!??

This beast requires better SD cards than I currently have, I'm using 8gb class 10's and they struggle to keep up with the buffer in burst mode, also fill up pretty quick compared to the 10 or 12 megapixels I'm used to shooting! I think some 16 or 32gb UHS cards should serve me well.

Flash metering, in evaluative mode I found it massively under exposes, switching to average seems much better. I believe that canon updated the metering in their latest 2013 models (5d mk3, 6d, 70d etc.) as it has always been noted that it was "off" compared to Nikons.

I need some good glass. Best lens I have is a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, a good bit of kit and it pairs very nicely with the 6D, much better than it did on the 1D or 1100D, also my "plastic fantastic" 50mm performs admirably on this body. If I had the money, the 70-200mm f/2.8L would be a no-brainer, but that's a pipe dream for the time being. Even the Tamron equivalent isn't drastically cheaper, so wishful thinking for the moment :(

Looking forward to trying this bad boy out at some AP, once (if) the weather clears up, it's pretty shocking at the moment. The excellent ISO performance should allow me to do some decent wide field shots.

Couple of piccies, both at iso 6400 with the Tamron 24-70.

The cat

IMG_0181Copy_zps156fc21a.jpg

My daughter trying to feed the cat with a doll bottle

bampw-0267Copy_zps7c9d0e95.jpg

Nice camera i would love one myself.

Alan

It's most definitely a step up for me, having had both APS-C and the weird and wonderful APS-H 1D's, full frame is quite a change. The camera itself is great, you just need to google the reviews, it's 95% of the 5D mk3 for under 50% of the price. It even out does the 5D is some aspects.

It's most definitely a step up for me, having had both APS-C and the weird and wonderful APS-H 1D's, full frame is quite a change. The camera itself is great, you just need to google the reviews, it's 95% of the 5D mk3 for under 50% of the price. It even out does the 5D is some aspects.

It does look good, when i got my 650D it was a big improvement on the 1100D i had for a short while not just performance but the ergonomics like flip out screen, sd card slot at the side etc the 6D will be my next one.

Alan

The combined battery/memory card compartment is the biggest let down on the 1100D, especially when using a battery grip. A flip out screen would have been a real nice touch on the 6D, just the icing on the cake.

Congratulations with your new awesome camera :grin:

I have the 6D myself and did a noise comparison with the 600D and 7D a few months ago http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/204283-noise-comparison-for-6d-7d-and-600d/

ISO3200 is like ISO800 on the 600D and 7D. When i have used the 6D for AP i have only used ISO3200, i tried ISO1600, but the noise difference is so small there is no point.

From other comparisons i have seen 6D has lower noise than 5D III so for AP 6D is clearly the best DSLR at the moment.

Why not get the 200mm 2.8 instead of the 70-200mm 2.8? The non IS 70-200mm 2.8 isn't really sharp on newer DSLRs, the IS II version is much better and even sharper than the 200mm 2.8, but also costs a lot more.

I'd always change to B&W in processing, you have more control :)

RAW always contains the original data so in camera setting aren't final. I have a Nikon and use Nikon NX software to make changes and have the camera set to basic everything. You could use the Canon equivalent (don't know what that is) or something like Lightroom - be aware Lightroom removes a lot of in camera settings anyway.

For lenses have a look here http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff that will give you some idea about which lenses are sharp.

I think my next lens will probably be a 35mm prime. I really need to give it a good test at AP, even the moon would he good, but its 100% cloud 100% of the time here, with no end in sight.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Poor kitty, kitty.. heheh... just kidding (not really)

Hey, I'm real happy for you.

How about pointing your new toy up to the sky and let's see what it can REALLY do ? :)

When I can see the sky I will oblige  :rolleyes:

Archived