Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pst...

A McEwan

Hi,

I got my new PST from Steve at FLO the other day! :sunny:

Here it is in my "solar Observing case" all ready to go for the next sunny day - sometime in May, isn't it? :D

I'm quite excited about this, as I still have never looked through a Ha telescope! Maybe tomorrow...

Thanks to Steve for a great deal! :lol:

3217_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

And here it is set up on my Celestron Heavy Duty Alt-Az (AZ-3 clone) mount:

3218_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

AM :D

Grant, the case came from Under My Bed. I think prior to that (many years ago) it came from Argos or somewhere similar as a £20 photographic case with dividers built-in. I had to slightly trim the outer edge of the PST box foam to get it to slip in, but it's a perfect fit now. (Inside width = 45cm)

AM

What case are you using to store it in? I have a pst and its still in its cupboard box, must get something better!

Grant, I got a case very similar to AM's from my local B&Q. Or there is the Maplins foam filled case that they often do half price at £15 (not on offer at the moment though).

Looks like a nice piece of kit AM - I like the orange backdrop to you first pic - very suitable!! :D

Cheers

Bill£ :D

Next sun in May? You have to be very optimistic AM. I think my money's on late July.

It's a lovely piece of work, and so small too. But, as the saying goes. "All Good Things Come In Small Bundles").

You will have a whole new experience with that little critter.

Ron. :D

The thing which has most impressed me about this 'scope is its amazing ability ability to attract clouds. So far I've managed 5 minutes viewing. At least I know it works!

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Night, or day AM, we are thwarted by the weather gods. They get a sadistic pleasure out of it you know.

Ron. :D

Tell me about it..... :D

One point I did note was that my TeleVue Plossl 21mm wouldn't come to focus - I had to slide it slightly out of the holder to get it to reach focus. Not too much of a problem. Haven't tried any other eyepieces yet!

AM

Great! Well done.

I hav sunshine in my lunch-hour today so I actually got to use it properly! WooHoo! :hello1:

Saw two noticable prominences (about 2-o-clock and 8-o-clock) and a couple of fainter, smaller ones at about 3-4-o-clock position. I found that adjusting the tuner made them change in obviousness-ness! I take it that's why we have the filter tunable?

I also found that the smaller prominences would completely disappear if I moved the Sun's position in the eyepiece, but would reappear in other places - I take it that's the "sweet spot" effect? Is the sweet spot in the same place in every PST or does it vary? Does it change with different eyepieces (eg, if I use a higher mag eyepiece will the sweet spot be larger?)

Thanks for listening!

AM

I'd think the "sweet spot" varies with each PST and EP combo. This would be as a result of the etalon. Filtering wavelength is dependant on the distance between etalon elements and direction, or "angle of incidence" the light takes when it encounters the filter.

The tuning adjustment compensates for the velocity of the prominence. They move so fast, the Doppler effect shifts their wavelength slightly to either side of the very narrow Ha band.

Archived