Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunt Solar Wedge

Joves

Hi team,

After much enjoyable viewing of the sun for some time with my PST, I decided to spring for a Lunt Solar Wedge today to use on my larger aperture refractors whilst browsing around my local astro shop. I had taken a look through one briefly a little while ago and was quite impressed. On that particular day, the EP was also fitted with a Baader Solar Continuum filter. The lime green view of the sun was a little strange (to say the least), but the detail in the sunspots brought on by the wedge and the granulation details brought on by the filter were quite impressive.

I plan to use this on my TV-76 and NP101. Not sure if it will get as much fond use as the PST has as yet, but am sure I will get my monies worth from it.

I notice a few others on here have either/both of these items and would love to hear their/your thoughts/advice!

Cheers,

Aaron

I have the Lunt wedge (as well as a Baader one - we need a his and hers so I can view at lunch at work!) and solar continuum. I found the green colour a bit odd at first, but didn't notice it much after a while, it was then more about the detail you can see.

For imaging, I have tried (in a not terribly scientific way, I stress - always best to try for yourself if you can!) the solar continuum versus red filter versus 7nm H-a filter, and I prefer to image with the solar continuum. So for me, it's good for visual and for imaging. Depending on scope used, a UV/IR cut filter may needed as well to get a sharp image when imaging with the SC.

We got a wedge as a nice addition to our hydrogen alpha scope, but the white light has been more addictive than I thought. The wedge gets almost as much usage as my H-a scope. Can't wait to see the new huge spot that's arrived in white light!

Nice one Aaron. I bet the owner of your Astro shop is a personal friend now! He must be delighted when you walk into the shop :-).

I have a PST and a Lunt wedge and use both regularly, often side by side. They give such different views; I love the prominences and other Ha features visible in the PST, but the detail in sunspots available through the wedge is something else. It really brings out the fine structures in the sunspots plus granulation on good days so I can see you using both regularly, particularly as the sun is do active at present.

Here is my little grab and go solar setup, although I normally use the TV76 on this tripod, the 106 is a bit much for it and the 76 still gives lovely views.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers,

Stu

Good stuff fellas and thanks for the replies! It seems a pretty cool little contraption. I find myself wanting for a little more detail in and around sunspots with the PST (don't get me wrong, I love the little thing... It's a trooper!), so I think this paired with a little more aperture will do the trick...

... At least until I soon buy a Lunt 100THa/PT/B1800/FT with internal double stack module... Which I'm going to do very soon! Don't tell my astro shop "buddy" yet though please, Stu... He's currently trying to charge the same for the B1200 without Feathertouch, so I may have to cheat on him with this one :)

Aaron I bought the 1.25" Lunt Herschel Wedge last summer for use with my 102mm Astro Tech APO frac. I also bought the Continuum filter.

I have to say it gives the best view in white light that I have ever experienced in 50 years of viewing the Sun. I also view with binoviewers and 25mm plossls and a 1.6x barlow to gain focus. The extra definition and contrast is mind blowing and details around sunspots and granulation across the whole surface is something that is difficult to describe.

Like Stu I mount my Astro Tech side by side with the PST.

Excellent Mark. I look forward to spending some time looking through the combo. Like I said earlier, I've only had a pretty brief look through it before buying, but even then it looked pretty impressive. Very much looking forward to giving it a decent run!

Archived