NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Luminos 15mm opinions?

Ags

Wow they're cheap! Are they any good, especially at F5? I would be using it to view star clusters and maybe the moon.

I'd fund it by selling my Hyperion 17mm, but would it be a step up?

The Axiom LX and Luminos EPs do not appear to be the same: when I checked I found the eye relief on a Luminos was different from the equivalent Axiom LX. Some pretty positive reviews on the others, but not much on the 15mm. Most of the reviews are from people with slow scopes, however

I just noticed the Explore Scientific 82 degree EPs are in the same price range, and there are plenty of glowing positive reports about ES eyepieces. So I will add an ES 82 14mm to my wish list.

These prices are encroaching on hyperion prices - how does Baader sell any product these days?

The ES 14 apparently has the same optics as the Meade UWA 14mm, bt in a different housing (and nitrogen purged, I think). I used to have the Meade, and it is very sharp indeed. I only sold it to replace it with a Nagler 12T4 due to eye relief, which is a touch on the short side for those with glasses (14-15mm). The Luminos 15 mm with its 17mm eye relief would be the better option for those who wear glasses whle observing IF the quality is high enough.

Not much help at the moment, but I ordered a 15mm Luminos yesterday (along with a 7mm one). When they arrive & I get to try them out in my Nexstar 6SE, I can let you know what I think, but it will be very subjective as I do not have an alternative 15mm EP to compare it to :-~.

The Axiom LX and the Luminos are identical, even if the specs vary in different advertisements, however, I think the ES82's are better, but all work well in f/5 scopes. The SW Sky Panorama's are also identical, which is why Celestron renamed theirs and brought the price down.  I bought my Ax's s/h so never paid the full price ever.

I have the 23mm,10mm and 7mm Luminos EPs.They are good,but as Robin says the ES 82 are better(except ER).The 23mm shows nebula nice and bright,with and without a filter,but does have a lot of distortion at f4.8.At f7 it seems well controlled to my eyes.

I have the 23mm,10mm and 7mm Luminos EPs.They are good,but as Robin says the ES 82 are better(except ER).The 23mm shows nebula nice and bright,with and without a filter,but does have a lot of distortion at f4.8.At f7 it seems well controlled to my eyes.

Hi Jetstream, I have the same focal lengths in the Axiom LX versions, great minds think alike!  I also have the 11mm, 14mm and 18mm in the ES82's, very good in fast scopes, my fastest is f/5.

+1 looking forward to your report!

Looking forward to your report.

Hi, afraid to say this report will have to wait as I have had to cancel my order for the NexStar 6SE due to miscommunications over delivery dates :(. Order almost place for a replacement this afternoon, but some confusion now means I will be talking to an alternative supplier on Monday. Guess this is going to delay things by a week or so, but as my Mum used to say, good things come to those who wait :rolleyes:. When it gets here, I will update.......

Archived