NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Books, apps and other reference...

Hello all,

We are very new to all things Astronomy but we can clearly see we are going to be hooked. We have recently bought a book called 'Turn left at Orion' and have downloaded an app called Google Sky Map, we did install 'Stellarium' but could not fathom how to use it?!!!  So we were just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of anything they use reference / app  wise that they just couldn't do without?

Thanks in advance

The New Star Gazers. 

Good book, half an idea of where things are and a goto work for me. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Think everyone has their own way of doing things.

Need an idea of where things are as I like to have an idea that the goto is going to where it should. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Turn Left at Orion is quite commonly recommended for beginners, so you have done well there, but a book that I thoroughly recommend for those who do not know where to start is the Phillips "Guide to the Night Sky" written by none other than the late, great Sir Patrick Moore. It explains how to find the major constellations ( the way-points that even experienced astronomers rely on ) along with a lot of information on how the sky changes throughout the seasons, etc., and can be obtained from most online bookshops for about £4.50. It's a great starting point for the visual observer with no prior knowledge.

Another thing worth thinking about is a planisphere. These are quite cheap but very useful in the field as they do not require batteries, voltages or anything like that.

I would also recommend plugging away with Stellarium. Once learnt it can be very useful. It makes a lot more sense once you can find the major constellations however.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Hello New Star Gazers,

It looks like you are doing fine, you have obviously done some research and are making a good start.

I would also suggest the Philips Planisphere, it is old fashioned technology but is good for quickly finding out what you might expect to see.  I also like Turn Left at Orion, and also suggest Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas - that has lots of detail, but you might find it handy sooner than you think.  Sky and Telescope do a good website too.

Once you can recognise the main constellations you will find your way around the sky more easily.  Try going out on a clear night before it is completely dark - as it darkens you will see only the brightest stars first and it is easier to make out the shapes without the confusion of seeing hundreds of stars.

Good luck.

For a planisphere I would suggest the "David Chandler Night Sky Planisphere". Black stars on a white background with the constelations clearly marked; much easier to read in the dark. 

For reference, an excellent guide is "Stars & Planets" - by Ian Ridpath & Wil Tirion  ( ISBN: 978-0-691-13556-4 )

The "Sky Atlas 2000.0" set of charts (  ISBN: 0-933346-87 )

And along with its "Sky Atlas 2000.0 Companion" book ( ISBN: 978-0-933-34695-6 ) there are descriptions and data for all of the 2700 known galaxies, star clusters, and nebula shown in the charts.

For Lunar, "Discover the Moon" - by Jean Lacroux and Christian Legrand  ( ISBN: 0 521 53555 7 )

A great nightly guide for getting to know our nearest celestial neighbour, with views as seen through refractors & catadioptric scopes shown on the left hand pages, and as seen through reflecting telescopes on the right hand pages.

For detailed lunar observation.... "Atlas of the Moon" - by Antonin Rukl ( ISBN: 0 600 57190 4 ) or the Rukl pocket book size version.... "Moon Mars and Venus" - (ISBN: 0 600 36219 1 ) 

Enough information to keep busy for a very long time.   :smiley:

post-21902-0-06606300-1389718265_thumb.j

post-21902-0-34317500-1389718339_thumb.j

post-21902-0-23864000-1389719184_thumb.j

post-21902-0-62512100-1389719200_thumb.j

post-21902-0-41797900-1389719643_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson has 20 charts with useful information about different objects. I scanned them and added my own notes. I have the Starry Night Pro software and I prepare projects for my observing sessions by printing the screens of the areas of interest. I change the limiting magnitude of stars and save the screen shots before I print them. I export them to Corel Photo program and crop them down to a letter size, then print out and put into a binder using a transparent protection pocket. I use the binder outside with a red light to match what I see. I usually print the charts with the option to show the magnitudes of all the stars so I can easily test my binoculars and EPs  regarding limiting magnitude (LM).

Good luck,

look forward to more of your posts of your progress at the eyepiece!

Archived