Man, Jupiter is too bright...

emadmoussa

On Saturday the seeing conditions were pretty good. I was impressed how clear the details on Jupiter were...I dare to say the best transparency in weeks. Would've been fantastic if the moon wasn't up there hindering my DSO observing.

Anyway, like you might expect, in a 10" Dob the spike glare wasn't particularly comfortable. After 30 minutes of looking at Jupiter my eyes got tired and blurred. My moon filter doesn't seem to work effectively on this planet. Since I was looking for nebulae, I happened to have my SW O-III in my pocket. I screwed it into the scope focuser and looked at Jupiter again. Wow!! While the planet looked like the incredible Hulk in colour, the details just ''very noticeably'' popped out. The filter gave the planet a degree of 3D effect. The red dot for example (which unsurprisingly was green) showed inner details that I never experienced before.

Having said that, despite the amount of the details an O-III brings out, I still prefer not to have a Hulk Jupiter. I don't know about you, but my moon filter wasn't that effective. Any thoughts?

I use a Baader Neodymium filter. it shifts the colour ever so slighty to the blue end of the spectrum (not that you really see this) and creates a very natural image but with the glare reduced. it also works very well on Mars and the moon. if you have a light pollution filter this might work well too.

I use a Baader Neodymium filter. it shifts the colour ever so slighty to the blue end of the spectrum (not that you really see this) and creates a very natural image but with the glare reduced. it also works very well on Mars and the moon. if you have a light pollution filter this might work well too.

I saw some threads on Skywatcher LP filter vs. Baader Neodymium filter. There's some agreement that both - despite large difference in price - produce a similar result. I stand corrected.

I must be odd because I don't find either Jupiter or the moon too bright, even with my 12" dob. I find a little time is needed to allow my eye to adjust but once thats happened I'm quite comfortable observing either for long periods. 

My dob does not produce spikes though, having curved secondary supports.

Thats not to say that I ought not to try using filters on the planets to enhance their features, I just don't find I need them because of the brightness.

I must be odd because I don't find either Jupiter or the moon too bright, even with my 12" dob. I find a little time is needed to allow my eye to adjust but once thats happened I'm quite comfortable observing either for long periods.

My dob does not produce spikes though, having curved secondary supports.

Thats not to say that I ought not to try using filters on the planets to enhance their features, I just don't find I need them because of the brightness.

interesting u mention those curved supports John. I saw some advertised and wasnt sure of the effectiveness of them. In your opinion are they a worthy addition to the scope fir additional viewing pleasure ?

At the op, i recently did a filter comparison of jupiter views using filtwrs and a ND filter gave the best results very closely followed by blue, both are worth having for getting clearer or new detail out of the planet

Imad,

I use a UHC filter on Jupiter after some advice from Mike (faulksy) you do get a very slight hint of green but the result is quite surprising.

However, I am with John on this as the glare does not seem to affect me unless its 3\4 or more full, I then I use a moon filter.

Imad,

I use a UHC filter on Jupiter after some advice from Mike (faulksy) you do get a very slight hint of green but the result is quite surprising.

However, I am with John on this as the glare does not seem to affect me unless its 3\4 or more full, I then I use a moon filter.

It's not the glare as much as it is the spiky glare. I think in Schmidt Cassegrains it's less of problem. In the C11 it was fine.

Does obscuring part of the OTA opening help at all?  I was never quite sure why my cap has a smaller cap and a hole in it, is that for observing the moon without a filter?

You can do that. though it will reduce the resolving power of the scope. When conditions are a limiting factor this becomes less important. Some do use aperture masking, especially if you have a largish scope like a 12 inch or above you'll still end up with a fair bit of resolving ability with a hole that is left and no obstruction from the spider.

I tried it for fun on the 10 inch but like John, I've never found the brightness to be an issue on both jupiter or the moon, there again I've never really tried with a colour or moon filter, but so far there is never been a moment yet where I say to myself I want one for this particular purpose to try it out anyway.

I've tried a UHC on Jupiter too, for me it just produces an interesting colour display more than I feel that it enhances anything but more resulting in a somewhat psychedelic experience :0)

Kerry, I always say to myself, if you have all that equipment try everything with it in every combination possible, even if the book tells otherwise, just to see what happens.  Have I looked at Jupiter at 400x, you bet ya, because I can, and on one occasions I can say it was not an all bad experience :D

Alex - good philosophy!

I always try high magnification too -my 6mm eyepiece gives almost 400x and sometimes for few seconds it's worth it but I too had a least one occasion(6/7April last year according to my notes) when I was rewarded with stunning views of Saturn.

Kerry

Kerry, I always say to myself, if you have all that equipment try everything with it in every combination possible, even if the book tells otherwise, just to see what happens.  Have I looked at Jupiter at 400x, you bet ya, because I can, and on one occasions I can say it was not an all bad experience :D

Well put !

Apart from not looking at the Sun through an unfiltered instrument, there aren't any rules - try some stuff and see what happens  :smiley:

Well put !

Apart from not looking at the Sun through an unfiltered instrument, there aren't any rules - try some stuff and see what happens  :smiley:

Indeed, I've tried DS observing at the 3mm setting of my Nagler Zoom, it's not recommended but was quite fun seeing something Deep-Sky at 400x, whizzing across the FOV.

Emad, whatever you do don't use the O-III filter when you're viewing the Moon. I tried it once and ended up seeing green spots in my vision for about 5 minutes afterwards (the same as when you look at the Sun or really bright lights) :rolleyes:, perhaps the Neodymium filter is the way to go with this one :).

Indeed, I've tried DS observing at the 3mm setting of my Nagler Zoom, it's not recommended but was quite fun seeing something Deep-Sky at 400x, whizzing across the FOV.

Emad, whatever you do don't use the O-III filter when you're viewing the Moon. I tried it once and ended up seeing green spots in my vision for about 5 minutes afterwards (the same as when you look at the Sun or really bright lights) :rolleyes:, perhaps the Neodymium filter is the way to go with this one :).

Too late ...been there; done that...green spots they were indeed :D

Archived