NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography: Getting Started

djnebula

Hello,

I am looking into starting up astrophotography, and need some advice on a good piece of beginner equipment that will produce above average images with ease. So far, the only things I have looked at are the Orion Starshoot eyepieces. Does anyone have any suggestions?  

I have an Orion Dobsonian XT8.

Thank you in advance.

I hate to say it, but if you could spend a few quid to achieve above average image with ease - then surely we'd all be doing it?

The truth is that there isn't one correct path, there isn't one correct piece of kit. What works for me may not for you.

What I do know is that to get decent / above average image of DeepSkyObjects, a dob and eyepieces is not the way to go.  Dobs can achieve more than you would first think. For example I have seen single frame images of Jupiter from a 300mm Dob that are way better than my Multi thousand frame results from a EQ mounted scope. 

I am happy with the images that i get - which is the important part - others are better, but my images get better with every passing year (I hope). 

Freddie's suggestion is a good one, post up some images that you want to acheive (with the owners permission) or link to them and we'll try and work out what you need to get them (although the imagers kit list will be a good place to start).

Ant

i have 8" dob with synscan goto system and tracking and i use a canon 1100D not modded.

After that i choose a target on average i get 30/60 pictures for max 30 second each.

In my signature there is the link to my work in progress gallery :)

They are not the most beautiful pictures above the average but If you want to achieve something like that i am happy to help you here :)

It's easy for people to give you tips on what kit works well, but at the end of the day, trial and error is the best way to learn how to get a picture you are happy with (I mean in using the kit, not buying kit to try). There will be nights that you feel are wasted, but it's key to ensure you learn at least one little thing from a night outside, and to start with you will learn a lot and find it hard to take it all in!

Imaging is also not just about good kit and taking photo's, it's also largely about the processing of the images you take.

Good luck and welcome to the forum! I too am quite new to astrophotography and believe me, this forum has helped a lot!!

As people have said, take a look at others pictures and note the equipment they use and that is a good place to start, understand the differences between the OTA types and then you can start to consider the specifics.

I chose the stuff in my signature so I could do both observation and mainly DSO photography but it also functions for planets too, just not as well as a different scope might.

As I wanted to take pictures I spent most of my money on the mount and the reflector gave me a good aperture vs cost ratio.

Planets = web cam

DSO = DSLR

Or you can pay more for higher spec stuff.

The people on this site have helped me so much to select, purchase, use and now do the post processing so have a look around.

Hope that helps,

If you would like to get fairly close to the best images seen on the forums then I'd suggest;

HEQ5.

ST80 guidescope.

QHY5 guide camera.

ED80 or Equinox 80 with FF/FR.

Atik CCD camera (mono) to fit your budget.

Manual filterwheel with Baader LRGB and Ha filters.

Photoshop CS3 or later, with plug ins including Gradient Xterminator and Noel's Actions.

AstroArt 5.

Forget easy. It ain't! Sorry, but really it just isn't.

Olly http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

If you would like to get fairly close to the best images seen on the forums then I'd suggest;

HEQ5.

ST80 guidescope.

QHY5 guide camera.

ED80 or Equinox 80 with FF/FR.

Atik CCD camera (mono) to fit your budget.

Manual filterwheel with Baader LRGB and Ha filters.

Photoshop CS3 or later, with plug ins including Gradient Xterminator and Noel's Actions.

AstroArt 5.

I'm currently building my 'wishlist' and the above is pretty much where I'm at. For the avoidance of doubt Olly I'm assuming HEQ5 PRO Synscan yes?

If you aim to control the mount through EQ Mod, as many do, the slightly cheaper HEQ5 variant is this one. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-syntrek.html

So far as I know this will be just as good if using a planetarium to control it. Do check that, though, because I don't own an HEQ5. I would stress, though, that in DS imaging some kind of GoTo is all but essential, be it plantarium or handset.

Olly

Edit - another plug in for Ps that really is important is Hasta La Vista Green by Rogelio Bernal Andreo. His website is called Deep Sky Colors.

Thanks Olly, I have the Equinox ED120 - sold the Equinox 80 to fund a modded DSLR that I bought from Stuart (Rossco72) a few years ago which has been brilliant.

ST80 as guide camera and QHY5 for autoguiding but "was" thinking of replacing that for an LVI autoguider until I spoke with Stuart earlier in the evening.

Absolutely loving this scope and package (as in the signature file) and can confirm it really does take some incredible photos - way beyond my own skills  lol

I have a few piccies on my homepage and happy to help with any questions you may have - though Olly sets the standard and is responsible for costing me a fortune bless him  ;)

Steve

Good advice above, and very little to add. Olly's kit for starting out is a good list and is the basis for many people's AP setup.

If you can get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count', available in the book section of the FLO website, this will be an important starting point. It is something of an imagers bible and deserves to be read at least 2x before you spend a single penny.

Being realistic is important. That's why I too would say to head over to the imaging section, take a look at whose images you aspire to and see the kit that they use. That is another good starting point.

Processing the images is another thing as well. You will learn that data capture (once you have it all up and running) is the easy part. It can take many hours to process and image and I find that is a steeper learning curve by far. It's a great hobby, but boy can it be frustrating at times.

I wish you well.

• 1 month later...

Archived