Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spring Galaxies...and a few others

Bart

Hi All

Got up early this morning (4am) and got the LB out. I was hoping my newly DIYed Telrad heater would work tonight as everything was frosted over.

Leo was high and got into the usual galaxies there.M95,96, 105 and the triplet. Also observed NGC3190 and 3193 in the neck of Leo. They're faint at Mag 11.2 but I like them. Also got NGC3226 and 3277 just to the right of the bottom star in the neck of Leo. While I was observing them 10.3 and 11.4 I thought I spotted a faint one to the upper left in the EP which I found was NGC3222 aan 11.8 spiral. Happy with that.

Got M13 and it was truly beautiful, stars were resolved right into the core. Magical. Of course, I went over to M92 which is a favourite of mine. Its a beauty and only because its near M13, it gets a raw deal.

The Cast Eye nebula took magnification really well, up to x210 and thought it was blinking like the Blinking Nebula. Then had to go the Blinking Nebula and felt it wasn't blinking all that much. I could hold it ok in direct vision. It was of course, more pronounced with averted but was surprised I could keep some of the nebula in direct vision.

Went over to the Black Eye nebula and got the black eye. Also got the dust lane in the Needle Galaxy. Love those two, its a real test of the scope and viewing conditions.

Just spent ages then floating around Virgo and its treasure trove of galaxies. Markarians chain was just beautiful. Went to x130 with the 14mm 100* and just meandered from galaxy to galaxy.

Drifted up to Coma Berencies and caught a few of the very fine galaxies there.

AsM51 was almost directly overhead, tried that. Tough to get as it was in the Dob Hole. Found it and at x110 spiral structure was visible. Not standing out, but definitely there. Maybe got the bridge between the two galaxies.

It was one of those nights that you remember why you put up with all the frustration with clouds, moon etc. Really really good night. Saw about 5-6 meteors. Two of which were bright, leaving trails. As a matter of fact, when I was observing the Leo  triplet a meteor split the main galaxies, leaving a trail. Wonderful!

Even got Saturn for a few mins before shutting up shop.

Didn't want to stop, damn you,  sunlight !!!!!!

Heating on Telrad works a treat !!!!!

Have decided that the ES11mm 82* and the Nagler 11mm have nothing between them, except that the ES is easier to use in relation to eye placement. Will probably keep the Nagler because it's supposed to be better, and maybe one evening it might give me more detail.

Night all/Morning all

Now where's that coffee.........

Barry

Yeah it does sound like a top night Barry, I've had enough of the winter open clusters so its great to hear a report with some objects that big dobs are all about!

Love those edge on galaxies like the Needle, didn't see the Markarians Chain once last year so very excited about getting amongst them again.

Great report. Cant wait for the next new moon now!! :)

Nice report Barry, sounds like you had a ball! Conditions were lovely here last night also. I had to pack up at around midnight as I'm not allowed sleep at work, but got in the first really good few hours in weeks.

Thanks gents. It's true what Mike says above, one of the best aspects of that night was that it was finding almost entirely a new collection of objects to that which we've been looking at (or not looking at!!!) for the last few months. Definitely entering galaxy and glob time!!

Here's hoping for clear skies in 2014. Good luck folks

Barry

Morning Barry,

Just in for a Coffee as the dawn broke on the Island, Had a good look around Coma and Virgo this morning after looking at the 2 Comets,

and two of the Messiers (10 and 12) in Ophiuchus. I also had a Satellite streak across M13 as I observed it.

I looked at the Messiers and some NGCs in Galaxy land, but the sky has been a bit odd and patchy. M99 and M88 were just smudges and

hard to even pick out, but lower down M104 was pin sharp and the core stood out well.

Even M83 was good and extended away from the core tonight, and it so low its usually a bit pants, Yet M87 was nowhere near as bright as it is want to be.

NGC 5053 up by M53 stood out better than I had seen it in a good while from here and "the eyes" in Markarians chain were also on top form.

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn seemed sharp and contrasty enough, though the problem here was the wind shake on the scope when I tried to ramp up the

magnification a bit.

I Found IO and Its shadow in front of Jupiters clouds easily enough though, and Titan stood out well, below and to the right of the rings of stunning Saturn.

All in all, a very enjoyable morning spent in the Spring and Early Summer sky (Even with the winter weather).

Regards Mick.

Nice one Mick, sounds like your morning was as good as the one I had. Weather desperate here now. Looks like it's be another couple of weeks before I get out again with the work/moon/ clouds combo at present. Clear skies

Barry

My garden NELM is 5.5-5.6

My western sky isn't great though. With the LB. I can detect some 12.8 or just above galaxies. There's not much to them, but I'd be aware of them, when I'm observing other targets.

Barry

Archived