Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help in Colchester Essex

Hi

I AM looking for anyone around the Colchester area that has a few hours spare to show me how to set up my Skywatcher 130 correctly I have followed several video on line but I still cant seem to get it correct  . im new to stargazing so any help would be appreciated

I am too far away to assist but it would likely help anyone close to you to have an idea of the problem.

It it mount related as in polar aligning, is it a goto, do you means something like aligning finder to main scope.

There is the Essex Cloud Dodgders that are around, find out if they have a meet you could attend, also check for star gazing live events this weekend that may be able to help near you.

Check the social section for when+where they gather.

Think there are a fair number of people that attend.

As said also check any clubs for evenings they will be holding.

At this time a few may have evening to come along and get help.

With Stargazing Live there tends to be scopes sold and people needing help in various areas.

Hi Satcom ... Only ever used a motorised eq mount so not sure about the slow mo controls, this video is pretty good...

I'm at the bottom end if Essex so about an hour from you. Maybe if you really do get nowhere we could try meeting up or swapping numbers?

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Aren't you an honorary dodger yourself :-)

Hi Satcom ... Only ever used a motorised eq mount so not sure about the slow mo controls, this video is pretty good...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HVDKAZ6eM

I'm at the bottom end if Essex so about an hour from you. Maybe if you really do get nowhere we could try meeting up or swapping numbers?

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Aren't you an honorary dodger yourself :-)

Thanks for the promotion to 'honorary dodger'   :smiley:

Actually, of all the various groups of people I've come across, work or pleasure, the world of astronomy can't be bettered for helpful friendly folk....

And I'm fillin' up here, it's all too much, on me third hanky............. :grin:

Cheers, Ed.

Thanks for the promotion to 'honorary dodger' :smiley:

Actually, of all the various groups of people I've come across, work or pleasure, the world of astronomy can't be bettered for helpful friendly folk....

And I'm fillin' up here, it's all too much, on me third hanky............. :grin:

Cheers, Ed.

Its been emotional :-)

Hi satcom, I'm in Braintree. I also got the Skywatcher 130 this. Christmas, and I'm up and running with the mount. Unfortunately I don't drive, but I'd be happy to show you what I've learnt so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See what I mean by friendly helpful folk ?    Nice offer  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Hi

I AM looking for anyone around the Colchester area that has a few hours spare to show me how to set up my Skywatcher 130 correctly I have followed several video on line but I still cant seem to get it correct . im new to stargazing so any help would be appreciated

I've been having a think about how I can digest this down to a few simple instructions that might be easier to get the hang of.

The default position:

1. Lock all the knobs so they are firmly tight

2. Adjust bottom most adjuster so that it points between 51 and 52

post-34206-138943845113_thumb.jpg

3. Use a compass or compass app on your phone and point the mount and telescope due north. Unlock knob underneath to allow the telescope to turn, turn the telescope then lock it when it's pointing north. You'll need to repeat this step every time you move the tripod. Once aligned it should look like this:

post-34206-138943942041_thumb.jpg

Consider this the default position, and once you have it, don't adjust those settings unless you move the mount to somewhere else.

(When you're outside at night, this should point the telescope towards Polaris)

You'll see two triangular knobs on the mount. The highest and closest the telescopes is the lock for the DEC axis, the lower one close to the silver wheel is the lock for the RA axis. Unlock both of these, and gently move the telescope around. Have a play and get a feel for how the telescope moves on the mount. Then return it to the default position and lock the knobs.

Balancing:

1. In the picture you will notice the counterweight, it counters the weight of the telescope.

To balance it, unlock the RA knob, and move the telescope so it is horizontal: post-34206-138944040757_thumb.jpg

2. Unlock and slide the counterweight up and down until the telescope is balanced and doesn't move.

3. Lock the counterweight knob and return the telescope to the default position. Lock the RA knob.

4.Then unlock the DEC knob and turn the telescope so it's horizontal on DEC: post-34206-138944067728_thumb.jpg

5. Loosen the silver knobs, and slide the telescope up or down until it too is balanced and doesn't try to move under its own weight. Lock the silver knobs, and return to default.

Observing:

You're balanced and ready to go. When you get out in the night sky, unlock the RA and DEC knobs and gentle move the telescope to point at an object. Lock the knobs when your in roughly the right place. Use the RA and DEC slow-mo adjusters to centre the object.

Once centred, you'll only need to really turn the RA adjuster to keep the object in view. Once you get practiced with aligning the telescope, you'll rarely if ever need to adjust the DEC to track an object.

One last thing to note:

In most cases you don't want the counterweight to ever go higher than the telescope. If it does, there'll be a better position with the counter weight pointing the opposite direction.

You might find the eyepiece in an awkward position.... Loosen the silver knobs slightly and gently spin the telescope tube until the eyepeice is in a better position.

I hope this helps. It was written with the assumption you know how to focus the telescope and use the red dot finder.

If not, you do have offers for one on one assistance! :)

post-34206-138943898033_thumb.jpg

I've been having a think about how I can digest this down to a few simple instructions that might be easier to get the hang of.

The default position:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389438450.843027.jpg

3. Use a compass or compass app on your phone and point the mount and telescope due north. Unlock knob underneath to allow the telescope to turn, turn the telescope then lock it when it's pointing north. You'll need to repeat this step every time you move the tripod. Once aligned it should look like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389439420.699285.jpg

Consider this the default position, and once you have it, don't adjust those settings unless you move the mount to somewhere else.

You'll see two triangular knobs on the mount. The highest and closest the telescopes is the lock for the DEC axis, the lower one close to the silver wheel is the lock for the RA axis. Unlock both of these, and gently move the telescope around. Have a play and get a feel for how the telescope moves on the mount. Then return it to the default position and lock the knobs.

Balancing:

1. In the picture you will notice the counterweight, it counters the weight of the telescope.

To balance it, unlock the RA knob, and move the telescope so it is horizontal: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389440407.735551.jpg

2. Unlock and slide the counterweight up and down until the telescope is balanced and doesn't move.

3. Lock the counterweight knob and return the telescope to the default position. Lock the RA knob.

4.Then unlock the DEC knob and turn the telescope so it's horizontal on DEC: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389440677.534170.jpg

5. Loosen the silver knobs, and slide the telescope up or down until it too is balanced and doesn't try to move under its own weight. Lock the silver knobs, and return to default.

Observing:

You're balanced and ready to go. When you get out in the night sky, unlock the RA and DEC knobs and gentle move the telescope to point at an object. Lock the knobs when your in roughly the right place. Use the RA and DEC slow-mo adjusters to centre the object.

Once centred, you'll only need to really turn the RA adjuster to keep the object in view. Once you get practiced with aligning the telescope, you'll rarely if ever need to adjust the DEC to track an object.

One last thing to note:

In most cases you don't want the counterweight to ever go higher than the telescope. If it does, there'll be a better position with the counter weight pointing the opposite direction.

You might find the eyepiece in an awkward position.... Loosen the silver knobs slightly and gently spin the telescope tube until the eyepeice is in a better position.

I hope this helps. It was written with the assumption you know how to focus the telescope and use the red dot finder.

What a great post from a newbie :-)

infact... Forget the newbie bit, what a great post

+1 for what knobby says above.

The only thing I would add is that you may find it helpful to mark the position of the counterweights and OTA with a small piece of masking tape. Just saves having to rebalance every time you set up.

+1 for what knobby says above.

The only thing I would add is that you may find it helpful to mark the position of the counterweights and OTA with a small piece of masking tape. Just saves having to rebalance every time you set up.

Great tip!

What a great post from a newbie :-)

infact... Forget the newbie bit, what a great post

The default position:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1389438450.843027.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1389439420.699285.jpg

Balancing:

To balance it, unlock the RA knob, and move the telescope so it is horizontal: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1389440407.735551.jpg

4.Then unlock the DEC knob and turn the telescope so it's horizontal on DEC: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1389440677.534170.jpg

Observing:

One last thing to note:

Thank you so much I followed  your instructions and  I have know set up my telescope . cant wait for clear skies so I can start using it . Also that's to everyone for your help

• 3 weeks later...

Archived